Date: December 31, 2013 Tuesday New Years Eve
- Sinai Pipeline Attack December 31, 2013 Islamist militants are suspected in an attack on a gas pipeline in Egypt's Sinai Peninsula. There were no injuries. The last confirmed attack in the area was on July 7.
- December 31, 2013 Uber Driver Syed Muzzafar Crash Kills 6 Yr Old Girl On New Years Eve, Syed Muzzafar, a 57-year-old Uber driver from Union City ran over 6 year old San Francisco resident Sophia Liu who was struck along with another child and a woman. The 6 year old died while the woman suffered life-threatening injuries while the other child is expected to survive. The suspect was arrested on suspicion of vehicular manslaughter with gross negligence and failure to yield to pedestrians
- 1 fire put out, 1 Islamist suspect arrested December 31, 2013 New Years Eve Gas Can Arson At Seattle Gay Bar A fire was in the stairway of a gay nightclub in Seattle which was quickly extinguished. An empty gas can was found at the top of the stairway. (The next day gas cans are used to attack the San Francisco China consulate) Suspect is found to be a man with anti-gay opinions from Libya which is torn between Islamist factions.
199 casualties 34 killed, 85 injured in two attacks in 24 hours
- December 29-30, 2013 Volgograd Bus Bombings December 2013, two separate suicide bombings a day apart targeted mass transportation in the city of Volgograd, in the Volgograd Oblast ofSouthern Russia, killing 34 people overall On 29 December 2013, a suicide bombing took place at the Volgograd-1 station in the city of Volgograd, in the Volgograd Oblast of Southern Russia. It killed 18 people and injured at least 44, 38 of whom were hospitalized. On 30 December bombing targeted a No. 1233 trolleybus The attack killed 16 people and injured 41, Volgograd bombings:A bomb blast rips a trolleybus apart in Volgograd, Russia, killing at least 15 people in the second deadly attack in the southern city in less than 24 hours. (BBC)
- Syrian Civil War: The Lebanese army fires on Syrian warplanes after they violate its airspace for the first time in the conflict. (Lebanon Daily Star)
- The Congolese army regains control after multiple attacks by around 40 gunmen across the capital at the airport and state television headquarters.(Al Jazeera) (VOA)
- Eight people are killed by police in Xinjiang, western China, after an apparent terrorist attack. (Al Jazeera)
- Shots are fired at the German ambassador's residence in Athens, Greece; no casualties are reported. (Deutsche Welle) Shots fired at German ambassador's residence in Athens ATHENS (Reuters) - Unidentified assailants opened fire on the German ambassador's residence in Athens with a Kalashnikov assault rifle on Monday in an attack seen as an attempt to sour relations between debt-laden Greece and its biggest creditor nation.10 people are killed in violence as Iraqi security forces dismantle an anti-government protest camp in the western city of Ramadi. (BBC)
- A BNSF train carrying crude oil derails and catches fire near Casselton, North Dakota, USA, forcing the evacuation of the town. (CBC) U.S. officials evacuated the town of Casselton, North Dakota, for fear of toxic smoke inhalation after two trains collided causing a large shipment of crude oil to catch fire. (forpolicy)
- The United States will proceed with filing charges against Indian Deputy Consul General Devyani Khobragade, whose arrest and search on charges of labor law violations has stirred anti-American sentiment in India.
- Five soldiers and three gunmen were killed in an attack on a Yemeni army base in the southern province of Lahj; attackers were armed with automatic rifles and anti-tank weapons. Officials blamed separatist Hiraak al-Janoubi (Southern Movement) who denied involvement. The week before 3 were killed as separatists attempted to raise the flag of the former pre-1990 South Yemen by storming a governer's office. bbc Eight killed in attack on south Yemen army base At least five soldiers and three gunmen have been killed in an attack on an army position in southern Yemen, military officials say. Four soldiers are also missing after the raid
- A suicide bomb attack at the Volgograd-1 railway station in the southern Russian city of Volgograd kills at least 16 people and wounds 40 others.(BBC), (CNN), (Reuters)
- 517 killed since past 2 weeks The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights says barrels packed with explosives dropped from Syrian Air Force aircraft have killed 517 people in the northern province of Aleppo since 15 December. (BBC)
- Two rockets are launched at Israel from Lebanon. Israel fires 20 artillery shells into Lebanon in retaliation. (Reuters), (Sky News), (Financial Times)
- 4 wounded Islamist protests in Egypt (July 2013–present) A bomb targeting an Egyptian military intelligence building north of Cairo in the village of Anshas wounds four soldiers. (NBC News), (Reuters)
- 18 killed 18 people are killed in attacks across Iraq, including a military general in a bombing in the northern city of Mosul. (Reuters)
- 6 evacuated by helicopter for smoke Two arrested in suspected arson attack on ferry carrying 1,000 The passenger ferry MS King Seaways, en route from Newcastle, England, to Amsterdam in the Netherlands, turned back after late Saturday 28 a passenger set fire to a cabin in the North Sea; two men were arrested on suspicion of an arson attack and affray (fighting) on the ferry which endangered the over 1,000 people aboard, many headed to New Years eve celebrations. (Guardian) (reuters) crew members had put the fire out within 15 minutes. (Daily News) They treated us like animals: Fights break out while travellers wait on outer decks as men are arrested police told fire started in a cabin when a drinker dropped a lit cigarette on his bedding after falling asleep on Saturday night. many forced to abandon their holidays after being heading back to port and service cancelled. BBC Police are questioning those on board, while a person suspected of starting the fire was detained by the crew Arson suspect denies ferry-fire charges - Shields Gazette The Shields Gazette Jun 13, 2014 British tourist who set fire to ferry smoking cannabis jailed for ... Daily Mail Sep 19, 2014 -
Ferry arsonist jailed for 11 years after causing £800,000 ... Daily Mirror Sep 19, 2014 Ferry-blaze passenger from Sunderland fails in bid to have ... Sunderland Echo May 1, 2015 - BLAZE: The DFDS Seaways ferry King Seaways,on which Boden Hughes started ... Hughes was handed a total 11-year jail term in June last year after admitting .
- 1 killed December 29, 2013 Man shoots and kills estranged wife at Florida Applebee's A man meeting his estranged wife and 18 yr old daughter in the military at a crowded Florida Applebee's got in to an argument with his wife and shot her 5 times with a .38-caliber revolver. He was arrested.
- 8 killed Chinese officials blamed religious extremists for an attack in Xinjiang province during which police shot eight people. Eight people were shot dead in Yarkand county Xinjiang's south. 35 have died in violent clashes since November. A gang had gathered to watch terrorist videos and promote religious extremist ideas since August, raising funds and testing explosives.
- December 28, 2013 Larry Charles Robbins of Austin Texas allegedly blew up a flammable gas bomb in a black trash bag in what appears to be a very small scale personal terror attack. He left through a back gate that had its padlock and chain cut.Robbins had worked at Luminex Corporation, a biotechnology company just 400 feet away from explosion, and had been asked by security to leave the area. He was caught on a traffic stop with drug paraphernalia, bolt cutters, butane, a black trash bag and gunpowder commonly used in pipe bombs. He has a history of terroristic acts as he was charged Jan. 3 2013 with possession or manufacture of a prohibited weapon and released on $15,000 bail He was the owner of a truck found abandoned on January 18 with a gun, ammunition and bombs.
- 39 victims 26 killed, 13 injured December 28, 2013 India Andrha Pradesh Train Fire Caused By Air Conditioning Short In Andhra Pradesh India, fire ripped through an air conditioned coach of the the Bangalore-Nanded Express trail. 26 people burned alive, including two children, in sleep and injuring 13 others. Asked if they suspected any sabotage, investigators said prima-facie the cause of the fire appears to be a short-circuit near the air conditioning unit, but they would thorough investigation to ascertain the exact reasons.
Date: December 27, 2013 Friday
- 13 killed 27 December 2013 Yemen: Shells kill 13 in funeral tent in Daleh bbc The funeral was for a man killed in clashes between Yemen's security forces and a southern separatist movement. Witnesses told the AFP news agency that an army tank had fired the shells.
- 1 killed 2 buildings set afire Islamist protests in Egypt (July 2013–present) Supporters of the Islamist Muslim Brotherhood clash with police at Al-Azhar University in Cairo, Egypt. One person is killed and two campus buildings are set on fire. (BBC)
- 25 killed Syrian Civil War:A Syrian army airstrike in a market in the northern city of Aleppo kills 25 people. (Reuters), (CNN)
- 1 killed 3 wounded 2013 Thai political crisis Unidentified gunmen open fire on peaceful protesters in Thailand, leaving one dead and three wounded. (CNN)
Date: December 26, 2013 Thursday
- Armed conflicts and attacks
- Central African Republic conflict under the Djotodia administration:
- Syrian Civil War:
- Israeli–Palestinian conflict:
December 26, 2013 DynaChem employee Wayne Woodson shoots CEO Keith Rife, self longtime eastern Illinois chemical plant employee shot his CEO at at DynaChem, a chemical maker about 30 miles from Champaign Illinois.
Date: December 25, 2013 Wednesday (Christmas day)
- 4 killed 4 injured December 25, 2013 Christmas shootings leave 4 dead and 4 injured in US
- 1 injured Brutal attack on Ukranian Tetyana Chornovil Blamed on Government Terrorism
- 1 killed Pregnant teen shot in Chicago area; baby survives fox
- 18 killed Eighteen Haitian migrants drown off the Turks and Caicos Islands after their sailboat carrying more than 50 suspected immigrants capsized while being towed
- A piranha attack in the Paraná River near the city of Rosario, Argentina by a school of Pygocentrus palometa reportedly leaves at least 70 injured.(FOX News)
- 14 killed 28 wounded Iraqi insurgency A car bomb explodes near a church as Christian worshippers were leaving a Christmas service in the capital, Baghdad, (BBC)
- The Egyptian government re-designates the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt as a terrorist organisation. (Reuters)
Date: December 24, 2013 Tuesday (Christmas eve) wikipedia
- Islamist protests in Egypt A huge explosion hits the Dakahlia security directorate in the Nile Delta city of Mansoura, killing 16 and injuring at least 134. (Al Ahram) (Reuters)
- 2013 South Sudanese political crisis: The United Nations says that they have discovered a mass grave containing 75 bodies in Unity State, and two other mass graves have been reported in Juba. (Irish Times)
- South Sudan's goverment says its military has recaptured the key town of Bor, days after it was seized by rebels. (Channel 4 News)
- A Palestinian sniper kills a Bedouin laborer who was repairing the Israeli fence surrounding Gaza; following this, the Israeli Military attacked targets in Gaza with airstrikes and ground forces, killing at least one Palestinian three-year-old child and wounding several others.(The New York Times) (The Times of Israel)
- The New People's Army, the armed branch of the Communist Party of the Philippines, torches 3 taxis in Panabo, Davao del Norte, just before a Christmas 'truce'. (GMA News)
- December 24, 2013 Flames shot through the roof of the abandoned building in Seattle's International District that was the site of the 1983 Wah Mee massacre. KIROTV
- 3 killed Three dead, more wounded in Christmas Eve shootings PressTV A man was shot and killed in a Chicago store. Tuesday afternoon. The United States witnessed a violent Christmas Eve as three people were shot dead in separate incidents and a dozen others suffered wounds in shootings across the country. Police officers in Washington responding to an armed robbery killed the suspect after he opened fire on them. In Washington DC, a woman died after she was shot dead outside a restaurant in Columbia Heights neighborhood. At a shopping mall in New Orleans, Louisiana a shooting left a man dead. In Chicago had the most violent Christmas Eve as six men and one woman were shot on Wednesday in six separate shootings
- 3 killed December 24, 2013 San Diego Christmas Eve Mall Parking Lot Shooting Ilona Flint died and Gianni’s 22-year-old brother Salvatore Belvedere were found shot in a car in the parking lot of the Macy’s in the Westfield Mission Valley Mall near San Diego at 1:20 a.m. Ilona was working the late shift Christmas Eve which which was open until 2 for last minute shopping and called 911 before she was found dead. Gianni Belvedere was reported to be with his brother and his girlfriend Ilona before he himself was reported as missing. Ilona Flint also goes by the last name Gregorievna, which is common in Russia. Gianni's third body is later found in his car truck.
December 23, 2013 (Monday)
- War in North-West Pakistan:
- The Pakistani army launches a military offensive against Taliban insurgents near the Afghan border. There are accusations that dozens of civilians are killed. (Reuters)
- Iraqi insurgency (post-U.S. withdrawal): A mortar attack kills four Iraq army officers and two soldiers in an army base west of Baghdad. (Al Arabiya)
- A terrorist attack on a news complex in Tikrit, Iraq kills 5 people. (CNN)
- Palestinian militants fire a Kassam rocket from Gaza which lands next to a bus stop used by schoolchildren in the Ashkelon area in southern Israel; no injuries are reported.(The Times of Israel) Arts and culture
- The Russian designer of the AK-47 assault rifle, Mikhail Kalashnikov, dies at the age of 94. (The Irish Times)
- Mario Edward Garnett Bank Robbery Spree after White House Iran War Threat December 23, 2013 Mario Edward Garnett tried to rob a bank in Atlanta but failed and ended up robbing a customer at the bank's ATM. He then was next seen robbing a bank about 300 miles away in Tupelo, Mississippi. When police stopped a white car that was reported to be the getaway vehicle, Garnett got out of another car and ambushed the two officers, and officer Gale Stauffer died. Garnett was shot December 28 by a police detective after a bank robbery in Phoenix Arizona. He had used a rental car. He had previously been arrested in 2010 for leaving a threatening comment on a White House website ""If you order a strike on Iran, I'm going to come up there and blow your brains out on national TV" and cursing Israel.
- Officers in Las Vegas found a man with a gunshot wound inside a garage. He was taken to hospital where he later died.
Date: December 22, 2013 Sunday
- Syrian government warplanes drop barrel bombs on the city of Aleppo killing 63 people. The causalities include women and children. (World Bulletin)
- Post-civil war violence in Libya: 13 people are killed and 10 injured in a suicide car bomb attack at a military checkpoint near the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi. (Financial Times), (Los Angeles Times) Disasters, crimes and accidents
- Several people are injured after a cargo train crashed into the Nairobi slum of Kibera. (BBC), (Standard media)
- Brooklyn Father Throws 3 Yr Old Son and Jumps Off Roof December 22, 2013 35-year-old man, Dmitriy Kanarikov, threw his 3 year old son off the roof of a 52 story building in Manhattan before jumping himself to his death.
- Fresno Knock On Door Shooting Fresno police are looking for a man who shot three people in the face with a rifle, critically wounding them, after knocking on an apartment door. There is no indication of a motive. The wounds were critical but not life threatening, and the victims did not know the attacker who fled. (Fox)
- Battle of Aleppo: Rebel forces capture the Al-Kindi hospital after a huge suicide truck bombing destroys part of the building. (BBC)
- 18 Iraqi military officers and soldiers are killed and more than 30 others injured after an attack in Rutbah, in Iraq's western Anbar province. Among those killed is the commander of the elite Iraqi 7th Division Major General Mohammed al-Karawi, as well as 4 other officers. (Reuters) (BBC)
- 2013 South Sudanese political crisis: Four U.S. personnel are wounded after the three CV-22 Osprey aircraft they were on were shot during an evacuation attempt of Americans fromBor, South Sudan. (CNN), (BBC) Disasters and accidents
- Despite an anti-flammable liquid coating, the yearly giant Yule goat in Gävle, Sweden, is again destroyed in an arson attack. (Expressen)
- December 21, 2013 death May 11, 2015 Oklahoma man kills stepdad with 'atomic wedgie' underwear pulled over head after insults
- Two Egyptian soldiers are killed and eight wounded in an operation targeting Sinai militants in the northern Sinai Peninsula. (FOX News)
- Israeli forces kill a Palestinian and wound four others in three separate incidents of cross-border violence in the Gaza Strip (Haaretz)
- Britain agrees to help destroy Syria's chemical weapons (Los Angeles Times)
- Two roadside bombings in Iraq kill 11 people (Daily Star)
- Bombings and shootings across northern Iraq kill 14 people. (Reuters)
- December 20, 2013 Black Woman Doctor in Michigan Missing, Car Abandoned Teleka Patrick was a new doctor was months into her Michigan hospital residency. She failed to show for work and her car was found abandoned in a ditch off a highway in neighboring Indiana. Patrick's disappearance is a mystery to police
- Trinidad Colorado High School Shooting Plot by two teenagers was thwarted when they were arrested after a tip that two boys, ages 15 and 16, planned to carry out an attack at Trinidad High School after winter break. One of the plotters believed he was bullied and idolized mass shooters at Columbine and Aurora. The two were arrested after a tip Thursday It was only a week after a shooting at another Colorado high school.
- N. Korea sends fax threatening to strike S. Korea MSN.com A South Korean news agency reported Friday that the North has threatened a 'merciless' attack without notice in response to anti-North rallies this week.
- Mania Airport Mayor Shooting December 20, 2023 The mayor of a town in the troubled southern Philippines along with his wife Lea, an 18-month-old baby and a staff member were attacked by at least two gunmen on a motorcycle at the Manila airport. The mayor was from Zamboanga del Sur in the Labangan area of Mindanao and it was the third attempt on the politician three years, raising suspicions that the unknown gunmen were motivated by the region's brutal political conflicts including an Islamist insurgency.
- Fishing union boss shot dead in Japan Channel News Asia - 12/20/2013 Japanese police said the head of a fishermen's union was shot dead on Friday, the second fatal shooting in as many days in a nation unaccustomed to gun crime.Gun crime is rare in Japan, and incidents involving firearms usually have a connection to organised crime groups. Ueno, whose family runs a civil engineering company, was previously fired at in front of his house in 1997 but escaped unhurt... shooting came the day after the resident of a well-known dumpling restaurant chain was shot dead in the ancient western city of Kyoto.
- Attacks and conflicts
- Iraqi insurgency (post-U.S. withdrawal):
- 2013 South Sudanese coup d'état attempt:
- International relations
- Reporters Without Borders releases their annual report regarding press freedom around the world with 71 journalists killed in 2013 so far. The deadliest countries are Syria, India, thePhilippines, Pakistan, and Somalia while the worst jailers are China, Turkey, Eritrea, Iran, andSyria. (Deutsche Welle)
- Law and crime
- Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebowale are convicted at London's Old Bailey of the murder of Lee Rigby. (BBC)
- December 19, 2013 The popular president of a well-known dumpling restaurant chain in Japan was shot dead on Thursday morning in Kyoto
- December 19, 2013 Teacher Shot In Laptop Robbery Four teenage boys are alleged to have shot and injured a teacher Steven Guerrero who fought back when they robbed him of a laptop and assaulted him during an attempted robbery at Edison High School. He was shot in the stomach and leg in a classroom. (AP)
revealed that on October 1, 2013 Chinese hackers crashed the Federal Election Commission’s website Oct. 1, the first day of the partial government shutdown, in “what may be the worst act of sabotage in [the FEC’s] 38-year history,” a non-partisan investigative journalism group reported
Date: December 18, 2013 Wednesday 2013_December_18
- Politics and elections
- 2013 South Sudanese coup d'état attempt The United Nations says that 400 and 500 people may have been killed and up to 800 wounded in recent attacks in the country. (Reuters)
December 18, 2013 Driver rolls over onto freeway causes bizarre collisions Malibu driven by 24 year-old Christopher K. Wittman of Tukwila blew through a stop sign down a dead-end street and over a ravine onto Highway 509 where it was struck by a vehicle driven by a husband and wife, and then three other cars if not a fourth. Wittman ran away from the scene after the crash and likely faces vehicular assault charges.
Date: December 17, 2013 Tuesday 2013_December_17
- India has ordered diplomatic repercussions against the United States over the arrest and maltreatment of the consul Devyani Khobragade in New York City. (BBC News)
- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry intends to give the Philippines $40 million in order to boost its maritime security regarding territorial disputes with China. (The New York Times)
- Japan intends to increase spending for the Japan Self-Defense Forces and transform it into a modern military. (BBC News)
Date: December 16, 2013 Monday
- Armed conflicts and attacks
- Heavy gunfire and explosions are reported in Juba, the capital of South Sudan. The government says it has quelled an attempted coup. (The Washington Post) (AFP via Zia News)
- Syrian Civil War:
- The Israeli Army exchanges fire with the Lebanese Army after a suspected sniper attack occurs in the border killing an Israeli soldier. (The New York Times)
December 16, 2013 Tumwater Black Hills High School Shooting Plot Tumwater police found three guns, ammunition, possible gunpowder, and fireworks in the home of a 14-year-old Black Hills High School student Monday after he had earlier threatened to shoot students at the school, a juvenile prosecutor said in court Tuesday The student had done Internet research on school shootings and expressed a "fascination with Columbine," the 1999 school shooting
Man charged in death of Arkansas police dispatcher pleads not guilty to first-degree murder December 16, 2013 Associated Press HOT SPRINGS, ARK. – A man charged in the 2011 death of an Arkansas police dispatcher has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder. Kevin Duck faces the murder charge in his girlfriend Dawna Natzke's death.
- Disasters and accidents
- A bus falls from an elevated highway in the Philippines capital Manila killing at least 21 people with 20 injured. (The Telegraph)
- Law and crime
- Four buildings are evacuated in the Harvard University campus after unconfirmed claims that bombs were planted in them. (Fox News)
Date: December 15, 2013 Sunday
- Armed conflicts and attacks
- Sixteen people die in a clash near the city of Kashgar in China's restive Xinjiang province.(BBC) Police and ‘Rioters’ Clash in Western China By CHRIS BUCKLEY At least 16 people were killed near Kashgar, a part of the Xinjiang region beset with tensions between Muslim Uighurs and the government authorities.
Date: December 14, 2013 Saturday
- Armed conflicts and attacks
- A car bombing in the Malian town of Kidal kills two United Nations peacekeepers. (BBC)
- Philippine President Benigno Aquino III downplays the significance of the recent surge of violence against journalists in the country after three deaths. (Inquirer)
- A grenade is thrown onto a bus in Nairobi, Kenya, killing at least four people and injuring 15 others. (BBC)
Daily Misfortune Friday December 13, 2013 ---
- December 13, 2013 15 Iranians and 3 Iraqis were killed in a pipeline attack in the north-east of Baghdad. (BBC)
- December 13, 2013 Chinese Vessels Try To Block USS Cowpens Missile Warship
- December 13, 2013 Witchita Airport Bombing Plot
- December 13, 2013 Alsip Chicago Chemical Plant Explosion
- December 13, 2013 Arapahoe High School Schooting
- 1 killed December 13, 2013 shooting Family of Corvette driver killed on live TV gets $5 million from LA Brian Beaird was killed by a police officer after a suspected drunk- or reckless-driver pursuit in Cudahy by Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputies.
Extrajudicial killings and forced disappearances in the Philippines:
Human Rights Watch and the Committee to Protect Journalists criticize the administration of Philippine President Benigno Aquino III for his failure to protect journalists after the deaths of at least 12 in 2013. (Time) (CPJ)
Jang Sung-thaek, the uncle of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, is executed. (Reuters)
Multiple people stabbed in parking lot after Denver Broncos game,http://fxn.ws/1hQleL9 three men were in custody in connection to a violent confrontation outside Sports Authority Field after Thursday night's Broncos' game that resulted in at least three people suffering stab wounds, including one listed in critical condition. The stabbing Thursday is just one of several recent incidents involving football fans. Earlier this month in Kansas City, Mo., a man died after an altercationin the Arrowhead Stadium parking lot during Kansas City's game against Denver.
In September in San Francisco, a teenage fan suffered a concussion and a broken arm and nose at Candlestick Park after police say he was attacked during the 49ers' game against Indianapolis
December 12, 2013 Fake interpreter seen at Mandela memorial claims he heard voices and was suffering from a mental epsisode. cnn
December 12, 2013 Asiana 777 Crash in San Francisco Investigation into the Asiana crash indicates a pilot who was not confident or assertive, and problems with a culture of not acknowledging weakness and deferring to a higher-ranking colleague instead of taking charge. The pilot was worried about his ability to handle the plane, and was very concerned about a visual approach without landing aids which had been turned off. Because others had landed safely, he could not say he could not do the landing. The autopilot was disconnected and manually changed the auto throttles to idle which did not control the speed. After the crash, FBI agents repeatedly asked Kang Kuk whether the crash might be terrorism related.
Date: December 10, 2013 tuesday
- December 10, 2013 REVERE, Massachusetts (CBS) – A woman was struck and killed by a hit and run driver in Revere Tuesday night. She was struck and dragged by a vehicle at about 7:15 p.m. The vehicle left the scene.
- Shannon Richardson is known for minor television and film roles and for her alleged involvement in ricin-laced letters sent to U.S. President Barack Obama and New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg, for which she was indicted. In May 2013, while going through a divorce, Richardson called the police and accused her husband of mailing the letters. On November 22, Shannon Richardson reached a plea agreement and faces up to five years' imprisonment. On December 10, she pled guilty and was sent to the Texas State Prison System.
Date: December 9, 2013 Monday current events
- Gunmen Kill Policeman in Libya’s Benghazi (ap) December 9, 2013Nagi Hussein Hamad was brought to the hospital Monday with seven bullets in the head. Gunmen followed him and shot him dead after his shift. It is not clear who the attackers are.
- Dec. 9, 2013 hazing death, Sept 15, 2015 update Pi Delta Psi Baruch College Hazing Pledge Killed Asian American fraternity Pi Delta Psi rented a house in the Pocono Mountains for a pledge event. In a hazing ritual called the "glass ceiling" fraternity members physically abused and beat Chun 'Michael' Deng as he ran a gauntlet in the snow, then were directed by their leader Andy Meng, whose sister is New York congresswoman Grance Meng to cover it up as the 19-year-old lay dying and they waited a crucial hour before taking the victim to the hospital. Meng faces four felony counts of destroying evidence and providing false information, and was one of five arrested in September 2015.
- 18 killed Attacks around Iraq kill at least 18 people, including a car bombing at a cafe in the town of Buhriz which killed 12 people. (AP viaMiami Herald)Arts and culture
- President of Russia Vladimir Putin announces that RIA Novosti, Voice of Russia, and the State Fund of Television and Radio Programs will immediately be shut down. Newly created Rossia Segodnya (Russia Today) will take RIA Novosti's place as the government news agency. (BBC) (Reuters) (The New York Times)
Date: December 7, 2013 Saturday
Fatal NH Median Crossing Crash Was a Suicide Attempt December 7, 2013 Former Fortune 500 executive Robert Dellinger told police a cover story that he was only trying to kill himself when he drove his pickup truck across the grassy median of a highway and slammed into an SUV. It went airborne and sheared off the top of the other car, killing an expectant couple in connection with the crash, which killed 29-year-old Jason Timmons, 24-year-old Amanda Murphy, who was eight months pregnant and their unborn child, all from Vermont. Dellinger is charged with reckless manslaughter.
Date: December 6, 2013 Friday
Robert Cameron Redus Shot After Attacking Campus Police in Texas December 6, 2013 Cpl. Chris Carter shot Robert Cameron Redus at least three times after a car chase and he attacked the officer with his baton at University of the Incarnate Word in Alamo Heights near San Antonio Texa
CAIRO (AP) - Militants stormed the Defense Ministry in the heart of Yemen's capital Thursday, killing 52 people, including at least seven foreigners, in a suicide car bombing and assault by gunmen.
Mexico deports U.S.-born teenage hitman who beheaded for cartel Nov 26, 2013 U.S.-born Edgar Jimenez, known as "El Ponchis," worked for the South Pacific drug cartel in Morelos state outside Mexico City. He was captured in late 2010 age 14 when he tried to travel to the United States. He had he admitted to beheading victims and said he had been drugged and forced to kill, and hacked a victim's head off with a machete.
Date: December 5, 2013 Thursday
December 5, 2013 American math teacher teacher Ronnie Smith killed in Benghazi foxnews US officials refused to speculate on a motive. Libyan press and Libyans commenting on social media pointed to Al Qaeda media calling for striking at Americans in retaliation for the capture of Al Qaeda operative Abu Anas al-Libi in Tripoli. comments: This problem is not just in the Middle East. By my count there has been 73 deaths in American schools in this decade. This of course doesn't count any teachers that just happened to be murdered going about their daily business...
Date: December 4, 2013 Wednesday
1 child dead in Idaho elementary school bus crash Houston Chronicle KUNA, Idaho (AP) - Authorities say one child has died and four others were injured Thursday when a dump truck hit the rear-side of a school bus which ran a stop sign carrying a dozen elementary school students outside a small southwestern Idaho city.
Dec. 4, 2013 Man charged with stealing fire department vehicle A 26-year-old man was arrested for stealing a $50,000 Olympia Fire Department vehicle which was parked at the fire station with its keys inside. Police chased the thief and deployed spike strips to stop the vehicle, sending it off the road and totaling it. (KIRO)
Dec. 4, 2013 (Kiro) 'Amateur gangsters' sought in fatal mistaken identity shooting Two teenagers are sought for a fatal shooting in White Center that police describe as a case of mistaken identity. ..the black teenagers suspected in the shooting accused a pair of men walking by of being gangsters, then shot them as they walked away.
Dec. 4, 2013 Suspect shoots at Tulsa Police, rams police car during high-speed chase A pursuit through midtown Tulsa came to an abrupt end Wednesday afternoon when the suspect shot himself. It began just before 1:30 p.m. when police attempted to serve warrants for assault and kidnapping on a man near 71st and Mingo. He took off in a vehicle, and led police on ...
December 4, 2013 Florida West Orange High School Shooting In West Orange High School in Central Florida, a student was shot after an argument as school let out. Suspect Jamorian Eddie Patrick Bell, 17, was recognized as a student who had been suspended from the school, and was arrested a few miles away after he fled on foot. This comes two months after two students were shot outside Agape Christian Academy, a Christian school in Pine Hills.That shooting also followed a fight shortly after classes were dismissed for the day.
Date: December 3, 2013 Tuesday
December 3, 2013 Sheriff's deputy shot; suspect dead after standoff (kiro) A Pierce County Sheriff’s deputy was shot in the arm about 4:15 p.m. Tuesday, and the suspect 27-year-old Chase Houston was shot dead (not clear whether by police or self) in a standoff with police at a storage facility. He had been a musician, but worried his friends with his facebook posts and was suspected to be mentally ill and high on drugs when he fired on police with an assault-style rifle.
December 3, 2013 Fire destroys 160-year-old Maryland church LINEBORO, Md. (AP) - A fire that destroyed a 160-year-old church in a small town in northern Maryland is under investigation. The two-alarm blaze at Lazarus Church in Lineboro was reported early Tuesday by neighbors. Damage is estimated at $1 million.
NYC Metro North Train Derailment Now the driver says he was in a daze and did not apply the brakes until after the train was derailing, he had said the brakes did not work before. The train was doing 82 mph on a 30 mph curve, though officials were still not sure the operator was at fault.
Iceland Police Kill First Gunman December 3, 2013 Iceland police officers were forced to shoot and kill a gunman for the first time in the nation's history. He had been barricaded in his apartment after he shot and injured two officers, who have only been armed since 2011.
December 3, 2013. (REUTERS/MAXIM SHEMETOV) Russia convicted three for a January acid attack on Bolshoi Ballet's artistic director Sergei Filin. Soloist dancer Pavel Dmitrichenko received a six-year prison sentence for ordering the strike, which was actually carried out by former convict Yuri Zarutsky, who was sentenced to ten years.
University of New Haven Gunman Lockdown December 3, 2013 The University of New Haven was lockdown after a report of a "an Asian male near South Campus with what appears to be a rifle." One man was taken into custody and some guns were recovered while students and nearby Forest Elementary and Carrigan Intermediate schools and Notre Dame High School were in lockdown as a search was continuing for any additional threats. A previous report of a gunman at Yale was thought to be hoax.
Date: December 2, 2013 Monday
December 2, 2013 A fire ripped through an Osage County church in Okalahoma. FOX23 pastor says the church has insurance and that insurance will not only rebuild this church but some of the money could go to helping bring the person or persons responsible to justice.Wynona church fire probed A weekend fire at the Wynona Assembly of God Church in Oklahoma apparently was set to cover up a burglary, church officials said
Power outage plunges most of Venezuela into darkness * Second major blackout in last few months * Government suspects "sabotage" by foes* Critics say blackouts show failure of socialism (reuters)
Boko Haram Attacks Nigerian Air Force baseDecember 2, 2013 A force of 300 fighters attacked a Nigerian Air Force base as part of an attack on the city of Maiduguri. They were repelled by government forces but destroyed some parked aircraft and killed some security forces. It resembled attacks on Camp Bastion in Afghanistan which destroyed several Harrier jets, and a Pakistan naval air station which killed 10 troops and destroyed 2 and damaged on P-3 patrol planes.
Lockdown at Ohio high school ends after 15-year-old with gun surrenders Lockdown at Ohio high school ends after 15-year-old with gun surrenders A 15-year-old boy was in police custody after he walked into an Ohio high school with a gun - sparking an intense hour-long standoff with cops as scores of students were trapped inside the building. armed teen, who locked himself inside a classroom at Scott High School in Toledo, was taken into custody after an intense hour-long standoff with police. BY JOE KEMP / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Authorities searched New Rochelle High School in New York after someone called in and told officials to "get everyone out of the building by 8 a.m.," A similar threat was made on Nov. 20, 2013
Date: December 1, 2013 Sunday
- NYC Metro North Train Derailment On December 1, 2013, a Metro-North Railroad passenger train derailed near Spuyten Duyvil station in the New York City borough of the Bronx, killing 4 people and injuring 63 others. The train driver claimed he applied brakes, but they failed before the curve. The train was travelling at 82 mph in a 30 mph curve.
- DUI Truck Crashes Fairchild Air Force Base Fence December 1, 2013 Near Spokane, Washington, a 22 year old woman Arika McDowell lost control of her truck for unknown reasons, crashed through the fence for Fairchild Air Force base and was stopped by security forces. McDowell was arrested for DUI and Reckless Endangerment because she had a 14-year-old passenger who was injured in the crash.Also: Truck crashes fence at JBER Alaska Air Force Base August 7, 2013 | 1994 Fairchild Air Force Base Hospital Shooting
- Seattle Victoria Clipper Ferry Boat Stolen in SWAT Standoff December 1, 2013 In Seattle, a man stole the 132-ft high speed Victoria Clipper ferry boat at about 5 a.m. and set it adrift in Elliot Bay. He who told SWAT police who boarded the board to arrest the unarmed man that he took the boat because he “wanted to go to West Seattle” 33-year-old Samuel Kenneth McDonough was booked into the King County Jail for burglary, reckless endangerment, malicious mischief and a warrant for failing to register as a sex offender. The Port of Seattle Police Department will handle follow-up on the case