Timeline of Security Incidents
category "Terrorist incidents in the United States in 2002"
Beltway sniper attacks
2002 Los Angeles International Airport shooting
José Padilla (prisoner)
2002 Felton Chase white supremacist terror plot A man-woman team Leo V. Felton and his girlfriend, Erica Chase, 22, plotted to blow up landmarks associated with Jews and African-Americans, hoping to create chaos among the races. The two were arrested in April 2001 after a police officer caught Chase allegedly attempting to pass a counterfeit bill at a doughnut shop in East Boston. Police bomb-making materials and recipes, as well as drawings depicting bloody attacks on blacks and Jews and newspaper clippings about Jewish landmarks in Boston, including the New England Holocaust Memorial. "Their plan was to ignite a racial holy war through violent terrorist action," Assistant U.S. Attorney Emily Schulman told the jurors in U.S. District Court.Prosecutors alleged Felton and Chase organized a white supremacist terrorist cell with plans to fund it through bank robbery and counterfeiting. On July 26 2002, a federal jury in Boston convicted the two alleged white supremacists of conspiring to ignite a race war with a bomb
Category:Mass murder in 2002
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Mass murder by year||1999 2000 2001 2003 2004 2005|
|Years||1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005|
Pages in category "Mass murder in 2002"
The following 58 pages are in this category, out of 58 total. This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).
- Akshardham Temple attack
- Allenby Street bus bombing The Allenby Street bus bombing was a suicide bombing that occurred on September 19, 2002 on an Dan bus in the center of Tel Aviv's business district. Six people were killed in the attack and approximately 70 were injured. Hamas claimed responsibility for the attack.
- 2002 attack on American cultural centre in Kolkata
- Café Moment bombing
- China Northern Airlines Flight 6136 arson gasoline bomb Zhang purchased two insurance policies before leaving Dalian and purchased the remaining five in Beijing. Some water bottles filled with gasoline were also found in Zhang's apartment. However, no detailed accident report has been provided, due to its being considered a "highly sensitive" topic in China.
- Some rumors report Zhang was a terminally ill cancer patient and/or he was living with a huge debt, but there has been no official confirmation of these rumors.
- Purported Bo Xilai / Gu Kailai connectionOn 22 April 2012, an article in the Daily Mail, quoting an interview with Chinese journalist Jiang Weiping in the Sunday Express, claimed that the destruction of Flight 6136 was ordered by Bo Xilai and his wife Gu Kailai in order to silence Li Yanfeng, wife of Han Xiaoguang, a wealthy hotelier and ally of Bo's political opponents.
- 2002 Kabul bombing
- 2002 Kaluchak massacre
- 2002 Karachi bus bombing
- Attacks on U.S consulate in Karachi On the morning of June 14, 2002, a truck with a fertilizer bomb driven by a suicide bomber was detonated outside the United StatesConsulate in Karachi, Pakistan. Twelve people were killed and 51 injured, all Pakistanis.
- Karkur junction suicide bombing
- Kaspiysk bombing
- Kiryat Menachem bus bombing
- Kurnool train crash
List of terrorist incidents, 2002 - Wikipedia (plus crimes and mysterious accidents)
Category:Terrorist incidents in 2002 - Wikipedia, the free ...
- Israel, January 25: 25 people were wounded when a Palestinian suicide bomber detonated explosives outside a cafe on a pedestrian mall near Tel Aviv's old central bus station.
- Israel, January 27: A female Palestinian suicide bomber blew herself up in Jerusalem, killing 2 and injuring 140. The female terrorist, identified as a Fatah member, was armed with more than 10 kilos of explosives.
- Israel, January 30: A Palestinian suicide bomber wounds two members of Shin Bet security service near Taibeh.
- Israel Three people, including Druze police officer Salim Barakat of Yarka was killed in Tel-Aviv when a terrorist opened fire on two adjacent restaurants.
- Yeshivat Beit Yisrael massacre was a Palestinian suicide bombing which occurred in the Beit Yisrael neighborhood in downtown Jerusalem on March 2, 2002. Eleven Israeli civilians were killed in the attack, including two infants, three children and two teenagers. Over 50 people were injured in the attack, four of them critically. The bombing took place at the entrance of the Haredi yeshiva "Beit Yisrael" in central Jerusalem where people had gathered for a bar mitzva celebration. The suicide bomber detonated the bomb full of shrapnel alongside a group of women with their baby strollers, waiting for the services in a nearby synagogue to conclude. The Palestinian Islamist militant organization al-Aqsa Martyrs' Brigades claimed responsibility for the attack.
- crime: 1 killed 1 arrested crash, murder, affair March 22, 2002 Hollerman staged crash murder case Princeton Minnesota man Steven Charles Hollermann was convicted of second degree murder of his wife March 22, 2002 in Isanti County and then staging a traffic crash to cover up the evidence. Sentenced to 210 months. His appeal was denied and is serving his sentence at the Minnesota Correctional Facility at Stillwater with an anticipated release in 2014. Steve Hollerman told authorities that before the accident, he had pushed his wife, Deborah, into the door of a vehicle during an argument and did not call for help. Police believe there was a fight in which his wife was killed and the decided to staged a collision between his vehicle and a parked car on the side of the road in an attempt to explain her injuries. Investigation by Isanti County Investigator Chris Janssen and State Trooper Tony Snyder revealed that that woman had been injured before the crash, and it wasn't the crash that killed her. Officer Snyder was suspicious because "one person was dead, one person was uninjured , an anonymous phone call stated the husband of the woman is having an affair. The case was featured on the cable network program Forensic Files, and is a textbook case of a deliberate crash to cover up evidence of another crime.
- Colombia, April 7: Two bombs explode in the restaurant district of Villavicencio, killing twelve and injuring 70.FARC is the prime suspect for the attack.
- Colombia, April 12: A rocket explodes near the studios of RCN TV in Bogotá.
- Israel, May 8: A suicide bomber strikes at a snooker club in Rishon Letzion south of Tel Aviv, killing 16 Israelis and wounding 60.
- May 8, 2002 Chicago, Illinois Islamist terrorist plot thwarted US citizen José Padilla arrested for seeking to use dirty bomb in US
- Attacks on U.S consulate in Karachi On the morning of June 14, 2002, a truck with a fertilizer bomb driven by a suicide bomber was detonated outside the United StatesConsulate in Karachi, Pakistan. Twelve people were killed and 51 injured, all Pakistanis. (Wikipedia)
- Patt Junction Bus Bombing The Patt junction bus bombing was a Palestinean arab suicide bombing on an Egged bus carried out by Hamas in Jerusalem on June 18, 2002, killing 19 people and wounding over 74. Seventeen of the dead were residents of Gilo. (Wikipedia)
- July 4, 2002 2002 Los Angeles International El Al counter Airport terrorist shooting Los Angeles, California 2 killed 4 injured Islamic terrorism Egyptian gunman kills two Israelis, injures four at the El Al ticket counter at the Los Angeles International Airport - Wikipedia the Federal Bureau of Investigation concluded that the attack was an act of terrorism, although the gunman acted alone. In September 2002, federal investigators concluded that Hadayet hoped to influence U.S. government policy in favor of the Palestinians, and that the incident was indeed a terrorist act.
- 2002 Felton Chase white supremacist terror plot A man-woman team Leo V. Felton and his girlfriend, Erica Chase, 22, plotted to blow up landmarks associated with Jews and African-Americans, hoping to create chaos among the races. The two were arrested in April 2001 after a police officer caught Chase allegedly attempting to pass a counterfeit bill at a doughnut shop in East Boston. Police bomb-making materials and recipes, as well as drawings depicting bloody attacks on blacks and Jews and newspaper clippings about Jewish landmarks in Boston, including the New England Holocaust Memorial. "Their plan was to ignite a racial holy war through violent terrorist action," Assistant U.S. Attorney Emily Schulman told the jurors in U.S. District Court.Prosecutors alleged Felton and Chase organized a white supremacist terrorist cell with plans to fund it through bank robbery and counterfeiting. On July 26 2002, a federal jury in Boston convicted the two alleged white supremacists of conspiring to ignite a race war with a bomb
- Colombia, August 7: Three round of mortars are fired against an Army base in Bogotá, injuring six. FARC is blamed for the attack.
- Colombia, August 7: Four rounds of mortars are fired against the Presidential Palace in Bogotá during the inauguration ceremony of President Álvaro Uribe Vélez. 13 people, mostly homeless, die and 50 are wounded when some of the rounds hit slums in downtown Bogotá. FARC is blamed.
- Unsolved crime or accident, possible terrorist attack apparently ruled out: Monday August 19, 2002 Massive $130M Santana Row Fire in San Jose The City of San Jose, California, experienced the worst fire loss in its history at the huge nearly completed Santa Row shopping center and apartment development. 11 alarms brought in 221 firefighters and 65 pieces of apparatus. After ten years, investigators have still not found any evidence of construction work that could have started the blaze, or any proof that it was intentionally set. It was about a year after the 9/11 attacks, but no media ever speculated that terrorism could have been a motive for an arson attack.
- 1 injured 5 Sep 2002 Clinton, Maryland owner of Italian restaurant shot in robbery by Beltway snipers Islamist terrorists johnstonsarchive.net
- 10 Sep 2002 Lackawanna, New York 6 U.S. citizens arrested for terrorist connections johnstonsarchive.net
- 6 killed 70 injured September 19, 2002 Israel Islamist terrorist attack Allenby Street bus bombing The Allenby Street bus bombing was a suicide bombing that occurred on on an Dan bus in the center of Tel Aviv's business district. Six people were killed in the attack and approximately 70 were injured. Hamas claimed responsibility for the attack.
- 21 Sep 2002 Montgomery, Alabama 1 killed Islamist terrorist liquor store employees shot in robbery by Beltway snipers
- Casualties: 13: 10 killed, 3 injured Islamist terrorist attacks October 2002, John Allen Muhammad and Lee Boyd Malvo killed 10 people in what would later be dubbed the Beltway sniper attacks. Not generally known is that Muhammad and Malvo admired Al Qaeda and the 9/11 attacks and had a history of black and Islamic nationalism, and had started a spree of killings across several states starting in Washington since February. The Beltway sniper attacks were a series of coordinated shootings that took place during three weeks in October 2002 in Washington, D.C., Maryland, and Virginia. were a series of coordinated shootings that took place during three weeks in October 2002 in Washington, D.C., Maryland, and Virginia. Ten people were killed and three other victims were critically injured in several locations throughout the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area and along Interstate 95 in Virginia. It was later learned that the rampage was perpetrated by one man, John Allen Muhammad, and one minor, Lee Boyd Malvo In September 2003, Muhammad was sentenced to death. One month later, Malvo was sentenced to six consecutive life sentences without the possibility of parole. On November 10, 2009, Muhammad was executed by lethal injection. Malvo wrote about what he termed "jihad" but these musings were dismissed as immaterial. Some investigators reportedly said they had all but eliminated terrorist ties or political ideologies as a motive. Nonetheless, in at least one of the ensuing murder trials, a Virginia court found Muhammad guilty of killing "pursuant to the direction or order" of terrorism A series of trial exhibits suggested Malvo and Muhammad were motivated by an affinity for Islamist Jihad.
- 3 Oct 2002 Aspen Hill, Maryland 5 terrorist black nationalist / Islamist 5 killed in separate shootings by Beltway snipers johnstonsarchive.net
- 4 Oct 2002 Spotsylvania County, Virginia 1 killed terrorist Islamist 1 killed at shopping mall by Beltway snipers johnstonsarchive.net
- 7 Oct 2002 Bowie, Maryland 1 Islamist terrorist 1 child injured at a middle school by Beltway snipers johnstonsarchive.net
- 9 Oct 2002 Manassas, Virginia 1 killed Islamist terrorist 1 killed at gas station by Beltway snipers johnstonsarchive.net
- 11 Oct 2002 Fredericksburg, Virginia Islamist terrorist 1 killed at gas station by Beltway snipers johnstonsarchive.net
- 14 Oct 2002 Falls Church, Virginia 1 killed at shopping mall by Islamist Beltway snipers
- Colombia, November 19: Police deactivate a bomb left by ELN members in front of newspaper La Opinión inCúcuta.
- Colombia, October 22: A bomb kills three and wounds at least eleven in Bogotá. No claims are made for the attack.
- December 9, 2002 The United States stops and searches an unflagged North Korean ship that had been tracked since it left South Korea, and was stopped by Spanish gunboats by US request when the captain said he was just carrying building materials. Navy seals removed bags of cement to find 15 complete Scud missiles and parts. It was allowed to continue to Yemen which said that it had bought the missiles for its own defense as they were used by both government forces and rebels in the 1994 civil war. Yemen promised not to transfer them elsewhere
- Colombia, December 13: A package bomb injures 32 on the 30th floor of the Intercontinental Hotel in downtown Bogotá. No groups claim responsibility.
- Colombia, December 17: A bomb blast kills one and injures 20 in Neiva. The bomb was placed outside the building of the National Telecommunications Company, Telecom Colombia. Authorities suspect FARC is responsible for the attack.