Monday, September 28, 2015

Washington State Incidents

Washington State Incidents ---

5 killed Thursday September 24, 2015  Seattle Ride The Ducks Accidentally Head On Rips Open Side of Tour Bus  For undetermined reasons a Ride the Ducks tour amphibious vehicle crossing the narrow Aurora bridge in Seattle apparently signaled left, driver called "oh no!" and suddenly swerved across the traffic dividing line, and into the side of an oncoming charter bus filled with international students. The force knocked off the front two tires, completely ripped out the forward left side of the bus, and sent the duck tail spinning backwards. A pickup also hit a SUV head on in the confusion. The Duck lacked an important modification recommended to fix a weakness in the front axle, and witnesses reported seeing blowout or tire falling off.

May 30, 2012: Ian Stawicki, 40, shot five people at Cafe Racer in Northeast Seattle, killing four and wounding one, and then drove downtown and killed a woman near Town Hall. He fatally shot himself on a West Seattle sidewalk
Nov. 29, 2009: Four Lakewood police officers were gunned down in a coffee shop south of Tacoma by Maurice Clemmons, who is later shot and killed by a Seattle police officer.
April 4, 2009: James Harrison fatally shot all five of his kids, ages 7 through 16, in Graham and then drove to Auburn and killed himself.
Sept. 2, 2008: Six people were shot and killed by Isaac Zamora, 29, and four others were injured in a rampage that started in Alger, Skagit County, and continued down Interstate 5 during a high-speed chase that ended when he gave up in Mount Vernon.
Dec. 24, 2007: Six members of the same family were fatally shot in a Carnation home. Michele Anderson and her former boyfriend, Joseph McEnroe, are each charged with six counts of aggravated murder in the fatal shootings of her parents, her brother and his wife, and the couple’s two children. Anderson and McEnroe may face the death penalty.
July 26, 2006: Naveed Haq attacked the Jewish Federation of Greater Seattle, making anti-Semitic statements before killing one woman and wounding five. He was sentenced to life in prison.
March 25, 2006: Kyle Huff, 28, shot and killed six people and wounded two others in a house in Seattle’s Capitol Hill neighborhood before fatally shooting himself.
Nov. 20, 2005: Dominick Maldonado wounded seven in a Tacoma Mall shooting rampage. He was sentenced to more than 163 years in prison.
July 5, 1998: Five young men walked into the Trang Dai restaurant in Tacoma and fired nearly 60 bullets, killing five people and injuring five more in what were described as gang-related killings. Of the nine men charged in the case, two committed suicide, another was killed before trial, four pleaded guilty and two were convicted at trial.
Feb. 2, 1996: At Frontier Middle School in Moses Lake, two students and one teacher were killed and another student was wounded when 14-year-old Barry Loukaitis opened fire on his algebra class. He is serving a life sentence.
June 20, 1994: Airman Dean Mellberg, who had been discharged from the military for mental-health reasons, opened fire with a semiautomatic assault rifle at Spokane’s Fairchild Air Force Base hospital. Four people were killed and 22 were injured before Mellberg was shot and killed by a base security officer.
Feb. 19, 1983: 13 people were slain during a robbery at the Wah Mee gambling parlor in Seattle’s Chinatown International District. Two men, Kwan Fai “Willie” Mak and Benjamin Ng, are serving life sentences for the Wah Mee killings. A third man, Tony Ng (no relation to Benjamin), was paroled this year and deported to Hong Kong.

During the course of the shooting, Brendan (Dan) McKown, a legally armed citizen, intervened. McKown drew his 9mm CZ pistol and verbally commanded Maldonado to put down his gun. Maldonado's response was to fire on McKown, striking him once in the leg and four times in the torso, damaging McKown's spine and leaving him paralyzed. In addition to McKown, five other people were shot but not seriously injured, and a seventh person received a non-gunshot injury. At least one other person in the mall at the time also pulled a gun on Maldonado, but did not fire for fear of hitting innocent bystanders.[1]
Maldonado then took four people hostage in a Sam Goody store, including two employees, a customer, and a 12-year-old boy whom he only briefly held captive before releasing. The attack began shortly after noon, and the hostage situation lasted until four p.m. when Maldonado surrendered to a Tacoma policeSWAT team without further incident.[2]
Hostages taken during the incident chronicle their story on Biography Channel's I Survived....

Police sought a young gunman Sunday after a shooting the day before at a busy Seattle-area shopping mall that killed one teenager and seriously wounded another.
At least four people were detained and questioned after the shooting Saturday afternoon at Southcenter Mall, police Officer Mike Murphy said.
Murphy said the shooting stemmed from a fight between two groups of people and may have been gang related. He said police expected to identify the gunman and make an arrest soon.
The gunman and the two victims were all in their late teens or early 20s, authorities said.
The Southcenter Mall in Tukwila was jammed with thousands of pre-Thanksgiving Day shoppers when the gunman fired shots after apparently getting into a quarrel with the two victims, police said.
The mall, which covers 1.7 million square feet and includes more than 240 stores, reopened as usual Sunday morning with security officers visible.
"Clearly, such a senseless act in our community heightens everyone's state of awareness and concern. Our security precautions reflect that heightened state," mall management said in an unsigned statement Sunday.
The statement said mall owners would not comment because of the investigation but praised "the rapid response of the Tukwila police."
Investigators were trying to determine what led to the shooting and the relationship between the shooter and the victims.
SWAT teams from all over Puget Sound converged on the mall, which was locked down for six hours. Store employees and customers were allowed to exit in groups and Murphy said the shooter "must have got out with the crowd."
One victim died at a hospital. A spokeswoman at Harborview Medical Center said the wounded young man's injuries were described as non-life-threatening.