Timeline 2014 | August 2014
Timeline of Security Incidents
Officer involved shootings 19 vs spike of 107 in August
- 2014-07-30 Nelson, Richard (52) Hawaii (Waikiki) After rear-ending a bus Nelson was seen drinking in his car by a nearby police officer. The police officer gave pursuit and Nelson began to drive erratically. According to Hawaii News Now, witnesses were said to have seen him make U-turns, put his car in reverse, and drive on sidewalks. The pursuing officer then shot Nelson to prevent injuries to others nearby.
- 2014-07-29 Edwards, Josh (25) Illinois (Pana) Edwards was killed in a police shoot out in a meth house. Three others were arrested. 
- 2014-07-28 Charles Mozdir (32) New York (New York) A suspected sex offender, Charles Mozdir, was fatally shot at a smoke shop in Greenwich Village, Manhattan, where he was employed. Two U.S. marshals and a New York police officer were also wounded during the attempted arrest, and may have been wounded by Mozdir's gun. Mozdir was featured on The Hunt With John Walsh.
- 2014-07-28 Isby, Steven (53) Illinois (Chicago) A burglary suspect was shot and killed by a 20-year veteran police officer in the Bucktown neighborhood at 3:30 am. The officer and the suspect got into a struggle with the officer's firearm, and the officer was shot in the arm with his own weapon. The officer claimed he was in fear for his life and fired at the suspect, killing him.
- 2014-07-27 Robert Henderson (37) West Virginia (Huntington) An armed man, Robert Henderson, was shot and killed at the El Ranchito Mexican Bar. According to officers, Henderson did not comply with the officer's demands and made a threatening gesture.
- 2014-07-25 Nicholas Lister (31) Utah (Millcreek) Lister was killed by police after he fired one round at them in his apartment complex, according to investigators. The officers came there to investigate a domestic dispute involving Lister.
- 2014-07-25 Luis Jobel (33) California (Los Angeles) Police received a call at 3:30 am of a man causing a disturbance in the Van Nuys neighborhood, throwing rocks and vandalizing property. Police arrived at the scene and shot and killed Luis Jobel.
- 2014-07-24 Lori Knowles (37) Georgia (Henry County) Knowles was shot and killed by police at her home. According to police, she was armed with an unspecified weapon.
- 2014-07-22 Joaquin Cibrian (29) Texas (La Joya) Standoff. 
- 2014-07-20 Richard Duncalf (28) Washington (Kent) According to police, Duncalf fired at several officers, and officers returned fire, killing Duncalf.
- 2014-07-18 Kenneth Johnson (34) Nevada (North Las Vegas) According to Public Information Officer Aaron Patty, about 1:30 a.m., officers were attempting to pull over the man for a routine traffic stop near Ann Road and Camino Al Norte. The rider refused to stop for officers and led them on a pursuit, Patty said. The suspect ditched his vehicle at a home's front yard in the 700 block of Rio Royal Way and ran away. Police caught up with him in the 6000 block of Revere Street near Tropical Avenue, where an officer fired his gun, striking the man several times. According to NLV police, the man turned at officers at the time, confronted them and drew what looked like a black semi-automatic handgun. 
- 2014-07-17 Eric Garner (43) New York (Staten Island) Garner had just broken up a fight between several other men when he was approached by two plainclothes police officers who questioned him about illegal cigarette sales. Garner got angry and the officers proceeded to arrest him. He resisted arrest and the officers placed him in a chokehold and slammed his head against the ground. Three more officers showed up and joined in the fight. Garner began shouting "I can't breathe" which he did six times before dying. The chokehold tactic is prohibited to be used by NYPD officers. On August 1, 2014, the New York City Medical Examiner's Office ruled Garner's death to be a homicide.
- 2014-07-17 Holt-Singh, Misty (41), Renteria Jr. Gilbert (30) Martinez, Alex Gregory (27) California (Stockton) Two bank robbers were shot and killed by police during an exchange of gunfire during a high-speed chase, and their hostage, 41-year-old Misty Holt-Singh, was killed by police gunfire. Holt-Singh was abducted by the bank robbers at gunpoint and forced into a stolen SUV, A third bank robber, 19-year-old Jaime Ramos, survived. Ramos was charged with murder in connection with the shooting.
- 2014-07-17 Davis, Justin Maryland (Germantown) Three officers returned fire on Justin Davis, a Kentucky Army National Guard private, who fired on the officers at Cameron Brown Park on Farmington Boulevard. Davis had been sitting in his car with a rifle at the park and was believed to be suicidal and suffering from PTSD. 
- 2014-07-13 Campbell, Lawrence New Jersey (Jersey City) Lawrence Campbell entered a Walgreens at 4 a.m. and assaulted a security guard there, and then took his handgun. Officer Melvin Santiago arrived at the scene, and was then fatally shot by Campbell. Campbell was shot by other police officers.
- 2014-07-09 Minch, Steven (45) Illinois (Granite City) A St. Charles man who called 911 early this morning insisting police show up at a Granite City gas station was fatally shot by the arriving officers who say the man pointed a gun at them. 
- 2014-07-08 McKinney, James (29) California (Hayward) McKinney was shot by officers at the Phoenix Lodge motel when they came there to investigate an incident involving McKinney at 4:00 am. According to police, McKinney was involved in a scuffle with people inside a motel room, and a woman suffered a cut to her mouth and scrapes and bruises to her arm and chest caused by McKinney. When police arrived at the scene, McKinney lunged at them and attempted to disarm them of their guns. McKinney was shot three times in the upper body by two officers and died at the scene.
- 2014-07-02 Ronquillo, Ryan (20) Colorado (Denver) When police approached Ronquillo, who was sitting in a parked car in the funeral home parking lot, he put his car in gear to escape. Ronquillo's Honda struck several police cars and hit two police officers, injuring one. Four officers opened fired. A bullet struck Ronquillo in the head, killing him.
- 2014-07-01 Derby, Austin (36) Washington (Seattle) Derby was involved in a high-speed chase with police and crashed his truck near Interstate 5. Derby then ran away into a shed, where police confronted him later. Derby then came out of the shed and pointed at them with a pellet gun designed to look realistic. The officers fatally shot Derby.
- 2 killed July 31, 2014 CEO of Arrowstream shot in murder suicide by a downsized employee who shot himself as well.
- July 31, 2014 Qassam strikes Siderot and Ashkol with six 107 missiles, 12 mortar shells, three zionists heavily injured and three houses ablazed in Siderot. (pro-Hamas propaganda)
- July 31, 2014 Some Arabs Backing Israel Over Terrorist Hamas
- July 31, 2014 Houston: Bomb threat near Museum District Traffic has been congested near Bissonnet and Dunlavy as the result of a bomb threat Thursday to a house
- July 31, 2014 Italian Journalist Defies Hamas: ‘Out of Gaza Far From Hamas Retaliation: Misfired Rocket Killed Children in Shati’
- Sentence July 31, 2014 10 injured April 1, 2013 Driver in Vegas Eatery Crash Gets 6 to 20 Years
- July 31, 2014 8 hurt from mortar attack in Eshkol; 3 injured in Kiryat Gat rocket strike eajc Eight people were hurt after a mortar shell fired from Gaza exploded in the Eshkol Regional Council on Thursday evening
- July 31, 2014 Car crashes into Ohio Dick's Sporting Goods:
- 1 killed July 31, 2014 Service member killed in JBLM military base gate crash
- 1 alleged assault July 31, 2014 Uber Driver Charged With Sexually Assaulting Passenger
Daily Misfortune Wednesday July 30, 2014 ---
4 attacks on police including 1 mass shooting in apparent domestic dispute
- 3 killed 3 injured July 30, 2014 People Killed, 3 Deputies Wounded In Shootout At North Carolina Mobile Home Park AP Three people were killed and three deputies injured in a shootout after a domestic dispute at a mobile home park. gunfire was exchanged with one person, who was among the three killed.
- 1 killed 2 suspects wounded July 30, 2014 Mendota Heights Minnesota police officer killed Mendota Heights police officer Thomas Patrick was shot to death in West St. Paul on a routine traffic stop. After an 8 hour manhunt, police tracked down career criminal Brian G. Fitch Sr who was driving with a woman. As an officer found Fitch and got out, Fitch started a gun battle and Fitch was hit several times, and the woman was also wounded.
- July 30, 2014 Newark police officer shot while breaking up robbery Residents flagged down a police officer who confronted a man robbing a bodega business. Shots were fired, and both the officer and suspect were wounded.
- July 30, 2014 Man In Custody After High-Speed Chase, Malibu Cliff Standoff CBS After shots were fired at an off-duty FBI agent stopping an attempted kidnapping outside a gym, a high-speed pursuit led officers through the San Fernando Valley and into Malibu, where the suspect bailed on foot, resulting in a standoff on a steep hillside.
- July 29, 2014 American Disgrace Jesse Ventura Wins Defamation Suit Against Kyle Widow
- Mother of kids shot in van charged with neglect Tuesday, July 29, 2014 The mother of six of the seven children who were shot at last week in a Milwaukee gunfight has been charged with child neglect after police looked at their home (but not for letting the kids ride through a gunfight?)
- July 29, 2014 Man, 79, charged with murdering environment officer In Australia, an elderly farmer Ian Robert Turnbull, 79 whose property had been at the centre of an illegal land-clearing dispute has been charged with murder after allegedly shooting dead an environment officer.
- July 29, 2014; August 4, 2014 REDWOOD CITY, CA Three boys responsible for an arson and vandalism incident on Aug. 4 at Taft Elementary School were arrested after school officials recognized them from video surveillance footage. The teens, ages 14, 15 and 16, were also connected to an earlier graffiti incident at the school on July 29. mercury
- July 29, 2014 Man shot by Henderson Police after officer stabbed A man shot to death after he reportedly stabbed a Henderson Police officer early Tuesday was identified today by the Clark County Coroner’s Office as 51-year-old Jesse Vigil. Two officers stopped Vigil. Tags: attack on police
- 1 killed, 3 injured in attack on police officers July 28, 2014 Charles Richard Mozdir New York Shootout
- 2 killed July 28, 2014 Two Killed in 12 Hours, San Jose's Homicide Count at 22
- 1 killed by stabbing July 28, 2014 Man Arrested in Deadly tallahassee Stabbing
- July 28, 2014 Boko Haram strikes across northeastern Nigeria and in Cameroon, 3 female suicide bombers
- 4 killed 13 wounded July 28, 2014 In Kano Nigeria female suicide bombers
- 21 dead, 13 wounded in Philippines Islamist rebel attack July 28, 2014 Filipino Rebels Kill 21 Villagers Over Peace Deal - NYTimes
- July 28, 2014 North Carolina woman set fire to own apartment
- July 28, 2014 1 killed, no cause Mysterious death of popular cheerleader found in university
- dozens killed, 31 vehicles destroyed July 28, 2014 Chinese police shoot dead dozens after attack in Xinjiang July 28, 2014 July 26, 27, 28 2014
- July 28, 2014 Man Shoots After 72-Year-Old Mother Was Assaulted by a Bleeding Stranger,
- 1 terroristic threat January 31, 2014 threat, July 28, 2014 arrest Hong Minh Truong Sent 500 and Superbowl Hoax Anthrax Letters
- 4 wounded in school housing shooting July 27, 2014 4 wounded in shooting at off-campus apartments near Western Michigan University 4 were shot in the legs at Campus Habitat apartments, but none were students. Alternate theory - people are mass shooting at housing near colleges, not just at colleges anymore, probably because there is less security presence.
- July 27, 2014 1 killed, 1 injured attempted suicide Arlington TX salon worker killed in Arlington during domestic murder-suicide Dallas Morning News A woman in her 30s was pronounced dead at the scene. The man who is believed to have shot her attempted to commit suicide by shooting himself . Police believe the shooting was domestic related. No other suspects are being sought. A man with a gun chased and shot woman outside Lily's Beauty Salon where she worked. Alternate theory - this is probably connected to other beauty salon mass murders
- 3 killed wife of official and several kidnapped July 27, 2014 Across Nigeria's eastern border, suspected Boko Haram fighters kidnapped the wife of Cameroon's deputy prime minister as well as several other people. In another town local religious leader and mayor Seini Boukar Lamine and five members of his family were also kidnapped. It was reported that at least three other people were killed in the incident at the religious leader's home.
- July 27, 2014 Hit and Run at San Diego Comic-Con Zombie Walk Parade google A deaf family plowed into a crowd of parade attendees and knocked over a woman after claiming they feared for their safety. The black Honda Accord was stopped waiting for the Zombie Walk to cross, but slowly rolled after a few minutes trying to get out of the area. Zombie parade attendees then began attacking the car and shattered a window.
- July 27, 2014 1 dead, 2 injured in Ky. motorcycle club shooting LEXINGTON, Ky. — One man is dead and two others were injured after they were shot at an eastern Kentucky motorcycle club meeting. Daniel Ward is charged with murder in the shooting of Bradley Coleman.
- July 27, 2014 Five teens arrested in Eureka High School vandalism St. Louis Post‑Dispatch Police have arrested five students as suspects in vandalism at Eureka High School early Sunday morning. Vandals smashed windows and spray painted surfaces causing $8,800 in damage.
- July 26, 2014 (Taji, Iraq) - An entire Shiite family of six is found beheaded in their home by religious rivals.
- July 26, 2014 (Rafah, Egypt) - Four children are wiped out by a rocket fired by Islamic militia.
- July 26, 2014 (Betong, Thailand) - Muslim terrorists set off a car bomb in front of a hotel that claims the lives of two young people.
- July 26, 2014 police in Kano reportedly deactivated a car bomb that was stationed at the gate of the Isiayaku Rabiu Mosque. Hidden in a Peugeot 406, the explosives-laden vehicle was set to explode during Eid prayers on Sunday.
- 2014 Israel–Gaza conflict: The death toll from the offensive exceeds 900. (AFP via Manila Bulletin)
- Post-civil war violence in Libya: The United States evacuates its embassy in Tripoli amid concerns about deteriorating security conditions. (AP via ABC)
- Taliban insurgency:Insurgents stop minibuses in Ghōr Province, Afghanistan and execute 14 Shiite Muslims. (AP via New York Daily News)
Daily Misfortune Friday July 25, 2014 ---Daily Misfortune Thursday July 24, 2014 ---
July 25, 2014
July 25, 2014
- I-35W northbound closed at Hwy. 36 after bus and semis collide Minneapolis Star Tribune Semi jacknifed leaving trailer blocking all lanes resulting in a fiery crash on northbound I-35W at Hwy.280 with another semitrailer, Metro mobility bus and another vehicle.
- Minneapolis Pickup bursts into flames on Hwy. 169, halts NW. metro traffic for miles
- Urgent lessons Israel, US must learn to counter Hamas’s clever tactics, strategy | The Times of Israel. Since the end of Pillar of Defense in late 2012, Hamas and other Gaza terror organizations have doubled their rocket arsenal, allowing some 120 rockets to be fired daily at various ranges. Indeed, Hamas has successfully surprised Israelis with its rockets’ range — namely, when its R-160 (a.k.a. the Syrian M-302 allegedly shipped by Iran) forced Israelis in the country’s central and northern sections to head for their shelters. Firing this many rockets at varied targets allows Hamas to pursue three key objectives: (1) to subject as much of the Israeli population as possible to constant rocket fire; (2) to try to exceed the saturation point of the Iron Dome air-defense system through heavy barrages; (3) and to prove that Hamas can stand on its own feet in the fighting, even as Israel operates in Gaza.
- M-302 rocket Used by Syria and Hezbollah before Hamas. introduced 2006, weighs 1,155 lb, range 62-132 miles
- 5 casualties 3 children killed 3 injured 2 suspects July 25, 2014 Philiadelphia Tioga Carjacking Hit And Run Rampage In the Tioga section of North Philiadelpha, carjackers ran down a crowd killing 3 siblings and critically injuring their mother and another woman. Two suspects fled on foot.
- July 25, 2014 F-16s Escort Sunwing Airlines Bomb Threat Canadian citizen Ali Shahi, 25. terrorized Sunwing Flight 772. He became increasingly agitated after the plane took off. He man tore up magazines and the safety card and tried to rip the window shade off, he said. After the passenger told the crew that he wanted to “blow up the airplane” the plane returned to Toronto escorted by F-16 fighter jets as it was rushed by armed SWAT officers to remove the suspect. His father Sadegh Shahi blamed the police and health system for not helping with his son's mental health issues, and he is not at fault as he never means anything he says.
- 50 killed July 25, 2014 (Raqqa, Syria) - At least fifty Syrian soldiers are captured and beheaded by Islamic State militants, who then post the heads on a long row of fence posts.
- 15 killed July 25, 2014 (Ghor, Afghanistan) - Three women and a child are among fifteen Shiites singled out and pulled off a bus by dedicated Sunnis, who bound their hands and then execute them.
- 1 mosque destroyed, motive: religion July 24, 2014 ISIS Destroys Jonah's Tomb In Mosul Iraq The militant group ISIS destroys the tomb of Jonah, a place thought to be the burial site of the prophet believed by Abrahamic faiths to have been swallowed by a whale or fish. ISIS operatives planted explosives around the mosque containing the tomb then detonated it. The Sunni Mosque of the Prophet Younis, which is the Arabic name for Jonah was blown up. Though ISIS claims to adhere to the Sunni branch of Islam, they have nonetheless targeted multiple Sunni shrines, blowing up or bulldozing any place they deem "unIslamic."
- July 24, 2014 Flight from Burkina Faso to Algeria disappears from radar The Guardian CNN reports pilot may have been trying to avoid weather
- July 24, 2014 CNN crew sees rocket exploding over the airport, but it did not hit the ground
- July 24, 2014 ‘US Stinger possibly destroyed MH17’ propoganda lies
- July 24, 2014 Norway warns of Syria-rebel linked Islamists planning to attack
- July 24, 2014 Hamas vows no cease fire until blockade lifted
- July 24, 2014 Security guard, suspect shot at Seattle bank KIRO
- July 24, 2014 US says Russia firing artillery across border at Ukrainian targets
- 1 dead 2 injured July 24, 2014 Mercy Fitzgerald Hospital Shooting Pennsylvania Hospital Near Philly
- 1 killed, 3 suspects sought July 24, 2014 Chinese USC Grad Student Beaten To Death By 3 Suspects
- 2 killed July 24, 2014 2 Finland workers shot dead in Afghanistan
- 2 killed July 24, 2014 2 U.S. soldiers killed in Afghanistan
July 23, 2014
- 2 killed in terrorist drive-by shooting July 23, 2014 Assassination of Somali MP lawmaker Saado Ali Warsame
- July 23, 2014 Pro-Russian Rebel Commander Admits Terrorists Had BUK Missiles
- July 23, 2014 Arrests made in global, $1.6M StubHub cybertheft case
- 3 arrested 2 wanted for funding Somalia terrorism July 23, 2014 Women charged with funding al-Qaida-linked Somali Terrorists
- July 23, 2014 Kiev says two Su-25 fighter jets shot down, accuses Russia
- 82 killed July 23, 2014 Two Suicide Bombings in Kaduna Nigeria
- 1 Asian professor killed, 2 black suspects under supervision arrested July 23, 2014 Murder of UNC-Chapel Hill professor Feng Liu
- 0 killed 2 arrested, 2 cars stolen, multiple guns Shots fired by and at suspects and police 2 suspects arrested, July 23, 2014 Christopher David Sullivan Wild Colorado Carjacking Crime Spree
- 1 killed, 2 illegal Albanian immigrants charged July 23, 2014 USA TODAY Murder Hearing for Couple Whose Dogs Killed Runner
- July 22, 2014 Israel Transportation Minister: Cancellation of Flights to Israel Gives a ‘Prize to Terror US Hands Hamas Victory In Banning Flights To Israel
- July 22, 2014 UNRWA Admits Finding More Rockets Hidden in Gaza School; Second Time in a Week
- July 22, 2014 South Korean police advise that they have positively identified a body found on June 12 as Yoo Byung-eun wanted for his alleged role in the sinking of the MV Sewol.
- July 22, 2014 Taliban insurgency A Taliban suicide bomber blows himself up outside Kabul International Airport killing three foreign advisers and an Afghan interpreter. (Reuters)
- July 22, 2014 Ukraine says Russian officer pushed the button to shoot down MH17
- July 22, 2014 Drano Bomb' Explodes On Durham City Bus Injuring One
- 2 killed 1 officer wounded in commando-style shooting July 22, 2014 Body of Moreno Valley Gunman Found After 3 shootings 2 Killed, Officer Wounded
- July 22, 2014 Did Terrorists Take Down Brooklyn Bridge American Flags?
- July 22, 2014 Four foreigners killed in suicide attack inside Kabul security compound
- 1 killed in DUI suspended licence rear-end crash by man on probation who made terroristic threats and joked about damage July 22, 2014 Michael J. Vanwagner DUI Rear End Smmiley Face Killing Brooklyn Center Teen
- Operation Protective Edge The United Nations Security Council calls for an immediate ceasefire on the Gaza Strip after an emergency meeting. (BBC)
- 2014 pro-Russian unrest in Ukraine Fighting restarts near Donetsk as international investigators arrive to examine the crash of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17. (Reuters)
- Iraqi insurgency (2011–present) Ten people are killed in an Iraqi Air Force air strike on the rebel-held town of Hawija. (Reuters)
- 2014 Pacific typhoon season The death toll from Typhoon Rammasun rises to 26 in southern China and 11 in northern Vietnam. (CTV News)
- A bus crashes into a ravine in Pakistan's Kashmir region killing 16 people with 37 others injured. (AFP via Global Post)
- Boston Marathon bombings Azamat Tazhayakov, a friend of accused marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is found guilty of obstruction of justice and conspiracy for trying to hide evidence during the ongoing case. (MSN)
- 18 killed July 21, 2014 Philippines: 17 rebels, 1 soldier dead in clashes The Daily Star Jul 21, 2014 - A Philippine military official says 17 Muslim rebels from a breakaway Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Movement were killed when they attacked army troops in two adjacent towns for an independent Muslim homeland in the south of the predominantly Roman Catholic nation.
Daily Misfortune Sunday July 20, 2014 ---Daily Misfortune Saturday July 19, 2014 ---
- Post-civil war violence in Libya Islamist militia renew their attack on Tripoli International Airport. (Sky News Australia)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 and 2014 pro-Russian unrest in Ukraine Separatist rebels take all the 196 bodies from Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 to an undisclosed location. (AP)
- Operation Protective Edge Israel agrees to a two hour ceasefire in Shuja'iyya neighbourhood in the Gaza Strip at the request of the Red Cross ِafter a heavy firefight caused the death of more than 74 Palestinians and 13 IDF soldiers. (Haaretz)
- At least 100 Palestinians and 13 Israel Army soldiers are killed in fighting with the United
- 150 killed Gaza Crisis Update Israel killed at least 150 Palestinians in Gaza on this day alone
- Nations Security Council set to meet tomorrow. (AFP via Yahoo! News)
- Disasters 2014 Pacific typhoon season The death toll from Typhoon Rammasun reaches 94 in the Philippines and 18 in southern China. (AP via Fox News)
- 1 killed July 20, 2014 SUV driver, distracted by music, runs stop sign and kills woman in Scott County, sheriff says rove her sport-utility vehicle through a stop sign in rural Scott County, her mind wandering as she listened to a song, and struck a car in the intersection, killing a passenger in the other vehicle July 20 2014. Killed was passenger Mae Ann Schoenbauer, 83. tags Distracted
- July 20, 2014 Dallas: 30-year-old woman killed, driver charged with intoxication manslaughter after Balch Springs crash Black woman Taneka Birdwell was suspected DUI heading north on LBJ when she cut off the truck, sending it spinning out of control, which is how it flipped onto its roof, killing the driver.
- 43 killed 6 injured, 5 cars, van, bus destroyed July 19, 2014 At Least 38 Killed in Fiery China Road Accident At least 38 people were killed when a van carrying inflammable liquid hit a bus on a highway in central China early Saturday, state media reported.
- Iraqi insurgency Three bombs explode in Baghdad killing at least fifteen people. (AP viaDaily Mail)
- War in North-West Pakistan:A US drone strike kills eleven insurgents in a Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistancompound in North Waziristan. (AFP via Global Post)
- Islamist unrest in Egypt Gunmen in Egypt's western desert province of New Valley Governorateattack a military checkpoint, killing at least 21 soldiers. Egypt reportedly declares a state of emergency on its border with Sudan. (Reuters), (Al-Arabiya)
- Buses from Poland and Ukraine crash outside the German city of Dresdenresulting in at least nine deaths and 40 people injured. (AP)
Daily Misfortune Thursday July 17, 2014 ---Daily Misfortune Saturday July 12, 2014 ---
- July 17, 2014 Violent Riot Targets Israel Embassy in Turkey; IHH Head Says ‘Turkish Jews Will Pay Dearly’As IDF forces entered Gaza on Thursday night in the latest phase of Israel’s ongoing Operation...
- 298 killed in airliner shoot down, likely by Russian backed forces July 17, 2014 Malaysian MH17 777 Airliner Shot Down Over Ukraine A Malaysian Boeing 777 crashed after being shot down at cruise altitude of 33,000 ft by a sophisticated Buk SA-11 missile system, killing all 283 passengers and 15 crew aboard .
- July 17, 2014 Intercepted phone calls purportedly between Russian military intelligence officers
- Daily Mail: Footage Emerges of Smuggled BUK Missile Launcher Missing 2 Rockets
- Kyiv Post: Separatists Admit Downing Civilian Plane in Intercepted Phone Call
- Veterans Today blames Israel F-15 for MH-17 777 shootdown
- Oriental Review (Russia) blames Ukraine Buk
- Ukraine Rebels Stole Same Type Of Missiles That May Have Taken Down MH17
- Could Russian Or Pro-Russian Forces Have Shot Down MH17?
- July 17, 2014 Chicago Tribune An Indiana University student from Amsterdam was among those killed when Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 crashed in Ukraine, killing all on board, the school said in a statement.
- 6 attackers killed July 17, 2014 Taliban gunmen fire RPG rockets at Kabul International Airport
- 1 killed July 17, 2014 In Waldwick New Jersey, Police Officer Chris Goodell was killed when his parked patrol car was struck by a tractor trailer which swerved onto the shoulder on Route 17 odmp
- Insurgency in the Maghreb (2002–present): At least 14 Tunisian soldiers are reportedly killed following Islamist militant attacks at two checkpoints near the Algerian border with at least 20 others wounded, a group called the Okba Ben Nafaa Brigade has claimed responsibility. (BBC)
- Typhoon Rammasun (Glenda) heads for southern China and northern Vietnam after killing at least 38 people in the Philippines with eight missing. (Reuters) (WTOP-FM)
- A firefighting helicopter searching for missing people from the sinking of the MV Sewol in April crashes in the South Korean city of Gwangju with five people aboard. (Fox News)
- A fire on a train at Busan Metro in the South Korean port city of Busan leaves five people injured and 100 people were evacuated. (GlobalPost)
- A French regional train on the Pau-Bayonne line crashes into a high-speed train near the town of Denguin, resulting in at least 25 injuries. (BBC News)Health
- The Parliament of Australia votes to abolish a carbon tax and emissions trading scheme. (AFP via Yahoo!7 news)
- July 17, 2014 Russian hackers placed 'digital bomb' in Nasdaq in 2010
- 2 killed July 17, 2014 Wixom teen, mother killed when truck slams into SUV in Lakeport
- July 17, 2014 Suspect in fatal Waterloo IL stabbing released pending further investigation
Daily Misfortune Wednesday July 16, 2014 ---
- 1 injured July 16, 2014 Joyriders steal golf buggy, hits barriers pedestrian at UK Open
- bomb threat July 16, 2014 Police: Bomb threat at UL-Lafayette campus was a hoax
- 2 killed 6 wounded July 16, 2014 Curacao Searches for Attackers in Airport Shooting
- 1 murdered, 3 arrested for murder, arson, theft July 16, 2014 3 Arrested for Beating, Fatally Burning Citra Man
- 1 injured, 1 arrested July 16, 2014 Man Arrested And Charged After Fleeing NSA Stop WBAL
- 2 killed July 16, 2014 Hostage, bank robbery suspect killed during chase with police in Stockton
- 1 killed July 16, 2014 Man shot, killed at Graceland Too by owner
Daily Misfortune Tuesday July 15, 2014 ---
- July 15, 2014 89 killed 40 injured 89 Killed in Suicide Blast in East Afghanistan mosque and market
- July 15, 2014 Filipino in Libya beheaded by militia group
- 4 injured by stabbing 2 arrested July 15, 2014 Arrest made following Rainbow Family gathering Red Feather Lakes-area stabbing
Daily Misfortune Monday July 14, 2014 ---
- 1 arrested, 1 attempted carjack, 1 carjack, 1 speeding crash July 14, 2014 South Everett Wanted Motorcycle Crash Carjacker In Everett, Washington a motorcyclist crashed into the back of an SUV, then the bloodied man tried to carjack the woman driver who stopped to help him. She fought him off from taking away the car with her children, then attacked witnesses who followed him as he ran away, then carjacked a 72 year old woman's Mazda Miata nearby. Police arrested wanted felon with an extensive criminal history. William Westmoreland, a 38-year-old white Stanwood native the next day who left his identification at the crash scene.
- 6? injured 1 taken away in ambulance July 14, 2014 Los Angeles Thugs In Pickup Beat Pro-Israel Crowd With Clubs Joshuapundit Four men who later turned out to be Palestinians arrived in a pickup truck, jumped out and began physically assaulting the pro-Israel demonstrators with clubs. A shot was fired at the truck as it fled the area by a DHS officer who was on the scene . The 4 Palestinians were later arrested and will likely be charged with assault with a deadly weapon. Several people were treated on the scene for injuries and I believe on person, an elderly woman, was taken away in a Hatzolah ambulance. tags: shots fire, palestinian, DHS, assault, injured
- One soldier and seven civilians, including two children, are killed in two successive mortar blasts in Egypt's city of Al-Arish in the Sinai Peninsula.
- A Ukrainian Antonov An-26 military transport plane was shot down nearLuhansk where there is currently heavy fighting between Ukrainian forces and separatist rebels. The Ukraine claims that it was shot down by a rocket fired from Russia. (Interfax) (AP via CBC)
- Anti-Israel protesters in Paris, France, surround a synagogue and chant anti-Semitic slogans resulting in a clash with police leaving three temple members in the hospital. Additional anti-Semitic attacks take place across the country including the firebombing of a synagogue and the assault of a 17 year old girl. (Jerusalem Post)
36 killed (1 by car) 74 gun + 12 injured in 83 shooting incidents (CNN deep survey day)
- 3 dead, 2 injured July 12, 2014 Pasadena Tenant-Landlord Shooting 35-year-old John Izeal Smith is in custody, and appeared to be a tenant who chased and shot his landlords. Of 3 dead, two were a man and a woman in their seventies. Two people sustained minor to moderate injuries. The gunman chased two people down a street, fatally shooting one and wounding the other, then a neighbor who tried to help was also shot and died in a driveway.
- July 9 murder, July 12, 2014 update Stay family shooting suspect was high school prom king in Alaska The man accused of killing six members of his ex-wife's family, including four children, in Texas this week is a graduate of a suburban Anchorage high school, where he was voted class clown and prom king. The Anchorage Daily News reports Ronald Lee Haskell Jr. lived in Alaska until 2004. He attended Chugiak High School, and was part of a tight-knit Mormon community in Eagle River, about 10 miles north of Anchorage. tags: mormon suspect, mass shooting, targets own family
- 8 injured accidental explosion July 12, 2014 Gas Explosion Injures 8 in Istanbul ABC News A gas explosion in a five-story building in Istanbul injured eight people on Saturday. Gov. Huseyin Avni Mutlu ruled out any terrorist attack and said the blast was caused by a gas leak or a gas canister.
- 1 killed 4 injured, suspect not charged. July 12, 2014 Woman Driver 62 runs down family of 5 killing boy In Cagrin Fall, Ohio a woman driver, 62 struck five people killing an 8-year-old boy who was walking with his parents and two other children. The driver was not been arrested or charged
- 35 killed 74 injured 83 shooting incidents July 12, 2014 December 1, 2014 report CNN One day of gun violence - CNN.com Attention is often focused on mass shootings or high-profile cases, but gun violence affects our communities in many other ways every day.We wanted to find out what one day of gun violence looks like. We chose July 12, 2014, because it was a normal summer Saturday. Our goal was to report every shooting that happened in that 24-hour period. We tried to track the shootings in real time, calling police stations, using social media and tapping into CNN resources across the country.
- 2 pastors threatened by gun July 11, 2014 Pastor, Deacon Robbed At Gunpoint In Chicago Area Chatham Church At the Liberty Christian Center in Chatham Pastor Anton Mathews (black) and deacon Edgar Horton prepped for bible study. Two men rushed in; one had a gun. The weapon was pointed at the pastor’s head.
- July 11, 2014 Police: Woman, 80, stabbed to death in hospital, man, 88, killed in related A woman was stabbed to death after midnight in a Merrillville hospital room and a man was found stabbed to death in a Gary home that the two shared. Police believe the two were killed by the same person, who was arrested overnight.
- July 11, 2014 Northern Israel Under Fire; Israeli Critically Injured in Ashdod United with Israel In Ashdod Friday morning, a man in his sixties was critically wounded by a rocket launched from Gaza that hit a fuel tank. Several others were lightly injured. The explosion caused severe damage and set off a massive fire.
- July 11, 2014 100 killed by Israel vs 0 killed by Hamas Time: Condemns Israel for Gaza Slaughter While Hamas Rockets Fall Harmlessly: "The death toll among Palestinians scrambling under a relentless Israeli air assault in the Gaza Strip passed 80 Thursday and edged close to 100 Friday, including at least 14 children. Meanwhile, the barrage of rockets Gaza militants launched toward Israeli cities failed to produce a significant casualty on the third day of Israel’s offensive Thursday"
Daily Misfortune Thursday July 10, 2014 ---
- 1 injured, 1 arrested in workplace attack July 10, 2014 Altercation leads to stabbing at Smithfield Packing Plant WAVY-TV around 1:45 a.m. for a report of a stabbing. Two employees got into an altercation inside the plant, during which one person was stabbed several times in the back with a pair of scissors. The suspect has been identified as Yunior Ramon Torres-Ortiz.
- terroristic threat and plot July 10, 2014 FBI: Utah Man Wanted to Bomb Police Station ABC News Authorities arrested a 47-year-old Utah man John Huggins Thursday that they say had been plotting to kill police officers and blow up a police station with the hope the attacks would cause an uprising against the government. Huggins. In February, a "concerned citizen" contacted Tremonton police to report Huggins threatened to blow up a Bible study group but police did find but Huggins had threatened to blow up the Tremonton Police Department and wanted to assassinate two officers before the bombing. Huggins did built an improvised explosive device and possessed explosive materials and instructions for making bombs
- July 10, 2014 Chinese hackers tapped personal federal-employee records The hackers appeared to be targeting the files of tens of thousands of employees who have applied for top-secret security clearances as contained in the databases of the Office of Personnel Management.
- July 10, 2014 Day Three of Operation Protective Edge 192 rockets were fired from Gaza into Israel; 141 landed in Israel and 44 were intercepted by the Iron Dome anti-missile defense system, according to the Israel Defense Forces (IDF). In response, the IDF made targeted strikes on more than 210 terrorist sites in Gaza.
- July 10, 2014 Hamas fires rockets at Israel nuclear site RT Three rockets have been fired from Gaza Strip at the city of Dimona in southern Israel in what the Hamas movement later confirmed as an attempt to destroy a nuclear reactor located there. Hamas’ militant wing, the Qassam Brigades, said it fired M-75 rockets towards Dimona.
- July 10, 2014 9 killed while watching World Cup as Israeli missile hits Gaza beach café Prison Planet RT (Alex Jones pro-Palestine) According to Arab news sources, nine young Palestinians were killed and 15 others injured as they were sitting in a beach café in Khan Yunis when the Israeli F-16 fighter jet struck it. Report has not been independently confirmed. The Palestinian death toll rose to 88 as Israel’s Operation Protective Edge continued for the third day, according to the UN. At least 18 children have been killed in the Gaza Strip since the operation began. A further 339 people have been injured, many of them civilians.
- 1 killed, 7 injured July 10, 2014 Santa Cruz Highway Big Rig Smashes into 10 Vehicles, Killing 1 25-year-old Santa Cruz resident has been identified as the man killed Thursday when a big rig collided with 10 vehicles on northbound Highway 17 near the Lexington Reservoir. The rig driver believes the weight of two trailers and the steep grade rendered the brakes ineffective as they only emitted smoke. One witness saw the truck "piled into all those vehicles."
- 1 critically injured, 4 charged July 10, 2014 Sharon Budd Critically Injured by Rock Thrown From Danville PA Bridge
July 9, 2014
On this day
- 1 killed, 1 arrest, charged with murder July 9, 2014 Tennessee National Guard Armory Shooting 15 year old teen Christopher Farrar is being charged with the murder of Sgt. 1st Class Michael Braden. He is accused of walking on to the Tennessee Army National Guard base in Lobelville, Tennessee, and started shooting. He shot the uniformed soldier with 20 years in the military dead in the chest on the afternoon of July 9. There is no known motive, and the suspect was arrested at his home, not on the base.
- 6 dead, 1 injured, 1 gunman arrested July 9, 2014 Ronald Lee Haskell FedEx Home Invasion Shoots Family Ronald Lee Haskel entered a home dressed as a FedEx delivery man, and waited for adults until he tied them up and placed them face down on the floor and shot four children and two adults execution style. Two boys, 4 and 14, two girls, 7 and 9, a 39-year-old man and a 33-year-old-woman were shot dead. Police surrounded his car and captured him after a three-hour standoff when he pointed a gun at his head before he could kill his estranged wife’s parents Haskell is charged with six counts of capital murder. A 15-year-old girl was shot but survived after pretending she was dead. Haskell said he was searching for his ex-wife, Katie Stay's sister. Haskell had been jailed in 2008 on charges of assault and domestic violence in Logan, Utah.
- July 9, 2014 USFS firefighter injured by exploding mason jar booby trap Wildfire Today KOAT TV in New Mexico is reporting that a U.S. Forest Firefighter was injured when a Mason jar exploded. He was stapling a fire prevention sign when he disturbed a suspicious mason jar.
July 8, 2014
Daily Misfortune Monday July 7, 2014 ---
On this day: 17 incidents, 4 outside US
Only 3 involve mideastern or militant Islamists.
Daily total: 24 killed 44 injured worldwide
Daily Misfortune Monday July 7, 2014 ---
- A Russian-made Mil Mi-8 crashes in the Thạch Thất District of theVietnamese capital Hanoi with 16 people dead. (AFP via GlobalPost), (BBC)
- July 7, 2014 Palestinian Asks JetBlue To Remove Doctor As Zionist Threat In West Palm Beach, Florida Dr. Lisa Rosenberg was heading home to New York when she was forced to leave a plane about to take off after a woman who identified herself as palestinian called her a "zionist pig" after she completed a phone call about violence in Israel, and how some people made murderers "out to be martyrs and celebrating them." Rosenberg was shocked that the woman complained to the crew she could not be comfortable flying with "me, a Jewish doctor", and was escorted by a police officer after being asked to leave the plane. She felt victimized by anti-semitism and harassed, especially after she was the one being accused of being harassed and a security threat and forced to leave by police. The airline confirmed she had been asked to leave, but denied her story and declined to provide any details of what "really" happened. wpbf video
- 1 killed, 3 arrested July 6, 2014 Gary Indiana police officer shot and killed Chicago Tribune A Gary police officer has been shot and killed, authorities said. Officer Jeffrey Westerfield, 47, was found slumped in his car by a motorist before 6 a.m. 3 people in custody in fatal shooting of Gary police officer Chicago Tribune Authorities have taken three people into custody as they investigate the fatal shooting of a Gary police officer in his squad car on his birthday Sunday morning. A series of tips led to a house nearby. tags: July 2014, police target, shooting, Indiana
- 2 killed July 5, July 6, 2014 2 officers killed in separate shootings in Indiana CNN Authorities took three men in for questioning in connection with the Gary shooting. A day earlier in Indianapolis, Officer Perry Renn, a 21-year veteran, was killed while responding to a call of shots fired.
- 61 total 11 killed 50 injured July 4- July 6, 2014 Over 50 injured, 11 killed in Chicago holiday weekend shootings WGNtv.com In total, five people were killed by gun fire over the holiday weekend, which also includes a teenager who was shot and killed by police Saturday night. .
- 1 injured Man shot in South Seattle ‘rolling gun battle’ July 6, 2014 Police say people in two cars fired shots at each other Sunday evening in what officers call a "rolling gun battle" in south Seattle on Rainier Avenue South.One car crashed into a bus shelter.
On this day: 17 incidents, 4 outside US
Only 3 involve mideastern or militant Islamists.
Daily total: 24 killed 44 injured worldwide
- 1 killed - school stabbing of teacher July 4, 2014 France Kindergarten Teacher Stabbed to Death In Front Of Students By Mother
- 3 total 2 killed 1 injured July 4, 2014 Elderly couple in Taurus killed when they turn into MN trooper in Cannon Falls
- 1 killed 8 injured July 4, 2014 Trung T. Le Arrested in 2014 Bourbon Street Shooting Los Angeles Times Trung T. Le
- 3 injured by shooting: July 4, 2014 In Kingston, Jamaica, women were shot
- 2 killed 3 injured July 4, 2014 , 5, 2014 In north Minneapolis, two killed, 3 injured in two separate shootings
- July 4, 2014 1 killed 2 injured Stricken Metro Transit bus driver dies after Nicollet Mall crash
- 3 killed, 7 injured in 2 unconnected crashes Two Tesla Crashes in Los Angeles
- 5 total 4 killed 1 injured July 4, 2014 nbcchicago Aiman Salen racing in Camaro kills Chicago hispanic family in head on crash.
- July 4, 2014 DFW: Woman Shot Dead At Texas Country Club after argument with a man who fled in a pickup who was soon arrested nbcdfw
- July 4, 2014DFW: In Ferris, firefighters fought a hay bale fire
- 7 killed 50 injured More Than 50 Shot, 7 Dead in Chicago's Bloody Holiday Weekend abcnews
- July 4, 2014 1 killed, 1 arrested Man charged with stabbing Raleigh teen to death
- 1 killed July 4, 2014 Man charged in fatal stabbing in Gaithersburg
- 1 killed, house burned July 4, 2014 Chicago: Auburndale woman killed by pile of fireworks on her bed and lit cigarette
- 4 total 2 killed 2 injured July 4, 2014 In Karachi Pakistan bomb goes off outside mosque.
- 29 total 5 killed 24 injured July 4, 2014 In Konduga, Nigeria, mosque suicide bomb
- 1 crash into business July 4, 2014 Police: Driver was intoxicated before steering crashing into Indiana car dealership
Daily Misfortune Thursday July 3, 2014 ---Daily Misfortune Wednesday July 2, 2014 ---
- July 3, 2014Guardian Mubarak Bala who had been forcibly committed to a psychiatric ward after renouncing Islam faces death threats and is forced into hiding
- July 3, 2014 Guardian 53,000 civilians killed and injured by IEDs in 3 years 2011-2013.
- July 3, 2014 Montana Train Derails Sending Boeing 737 Fuselages Into River
On this day
- 1 injured July 2, 2014 At midnight, a clerk is shot in the back while taking out trash in the alley at a Houston store.
- 1 killed July 2, 20141 killed Palestinian teen killed in suspected revenge attack by hard-line Israelis
- 0 injured Miracle in Sderot: Rocket Hits Day Camp, July 2, 2014 N
- 2 arrested for terrorism July 2, 2014 UT student pleads guilty to terrorism charges A University of Texas student Rahatul Ashikim Khan has pleaded guilty to a charge of providing material support to terrorists recruiting jihadi fighters
- 1 killed, 2 injured July 1, 2014 Driver 18 just out of driver test plows into 3 school girls, killing one.
- 12 injured July 1, 2014 12 Injured 2 Critical After Philly Food Truck Explosion
- 1 killed July 1, 2014 Man killed after chem spill and explosion at General Motors plant
- 17 killed July 1, 2014 Nigeria Bomb Blast Kills 17 People
- July 1, 2014 Mount Vernon Apartment Fire started by cigarette or fireworks
- 1 killed, 2 injured, 3 sought July 1, 2014 Detroit gunman shoots 2 girls, man on porch
- 2 injured 1 convicted July 1, 2014 crash January 26, 2015 sentence Earl Ward Crashes Van Abandons His Injured Children in St Paul