Terroristic Security Incidents by Category |Timeline
False gunman or bomb threat
Causes terror without actually injuring people. Generally no motive even when suspect is found
$7,000 fire damage 20 false threats. 1 church arson, 1 arrested December 12, 2014 Gregory Louis Knox Church Arson False Threats Suspect Gregory Louis Knox was seen hanging around St. Mark Evangelical Church in St Paul, and had thefts traced to him after he applied for jobs. He is alleged to have set a fire that was reported 7:20 a.m. on Friday, and had earlier been charged for falsely reporting 14 shootings, fires, assaults and burglaries, and reporting one fire he apparently set at his ex-girlfriends house. caused more than $100,000 in damage
Year 2013 18 incidents at schools, colleges, workplace
- December 16, 2013 Harvard Science Center Bomb Scare Four buildings at Harvard University were evacuated and morning final exams were canceled Monday after the school said it had "unconfirmed" reports of explosives. Eldo Kim, a Harvard sophomore was charged in relation to the threat and could face a maximum five years in prison, three years of supervised release, and a $250,000 fine under bomb hoax laws. Kim used an application to generate an anonymous IP address that is difficult for law enforcement to trace, but authorities established he had used Harvard networks to access the service. Kim told authorities he was “motivated by a desire to avoid a final exam."
- Nov 13, 2013Flemington gunman report turns out false Lockhaven Express 8 a.m. as a report of a gunman looking for drugs at a Flemington doctor's office. It allegedly turned out to be an intoxicated man making up a story and calling 911
- Nov 12, 2013 Under Armour headquarters evacuated after false gunman report
- November 4, 2013 Central Connecticut State University Lockdown For Armed Camo Pants Man Police responding to reports of an armed man in a residence hall, swarmed onto the campus of Central Connecticut State University New Britain which was under a three hour lockdown. Police arrested a 21-year-old student David Kyem who turned out to be the son of CCSU geography professor Peter Kyem. The student apologized for his Snake Eyes costume from G.I. Joe as his tactical vest, camouflage pants, mask, sword and handgun
- Nov. 1, 2013 Police respond to school after false gun report A false report of a firearm drew a heavy police response Wednesday to Citadel High School in Halifax.
- October 30, 2013 False report of gunman puts College of the Desert on high alert PALM DESERT, Calif. - A false report of a gunman at the College of the Desert in Palm Desert on lockdown
- Oct 22, 2013 Chardon: Bomb threat forces Walmart evacuation - WKYC
- Dry Ice Bomb Shuts Down LAX Terminal October 14, 2013 At Los Angeles International Aiport, terminal 2 was closed after a bomb constructed from dry ice and a 20 oz plastic bottle exploded in an employee-restricted restroom at about 7 p.m, delaying about four flights until 8:45 p.m. after the LAPD bomb squad investigated and cleared the scene. The next day another bomb went off in a restricted employee bathroom.
- Oct 3, 2013 Bosnian Shuts Down Florida Airport with Fake bombZeljko Causevic Charged Over Bomb threat
- July 3, 2013 Antioch College: False gunman report led to lockdown wkyc.com YELLOW SPRINGS, Ohio Antioch College says an employee of its adjacent nature preserve admits making a false report about a gunman that led to a lockdown at the small, private school in southwest Ohio.
- April 21, 2013 Wal-Mart and Home Depot Get Caught Up in U.S. Bomb Scares a Wal-Mart and a Home Depot in Auburn were ... Wal-Martindicated they received a threat that suggested a bomb in the store.
- False report of campus gunman brings lockdown at U-Va. U-Va.’s College at Wise. ... During that interview, the student confessed that the report was false, Student Charged A University of Virginia at Wise student accused of falselyreporting a gunman on campus is facing federal charges. Bryant Alexander Hairston … the 20-year-old Martinsville resident last week with falsely summoning law enforcement officials... Hairston is accused of calling 911 shortly before 9 p.m. on Jan. 23 and reporting that he had seen a gunman on campus. The call prompted university officials to place the school on lockdown.
- Sep 27, 2013 - Bomb threat prompts cancellation of classes at temple city high school Deputies on Friday arrested a 17-year-old Temple City High School student for calling in three bomb threats at two schools. The most recent ...
- Teen Arrested After School Bomb Threat at Lakeland Highlands Oct 17, 2013
- 13-year-old arrested for calling in"prank" bomb threat at school Mar 5, 2013 - The West Feliciana Parish Sheriff Austin Daniel says a 13-year-old 8th grader was on school grounds when he called in a prank bomb threat
- Arrest made following bomb threat at Walmart - Beckley, Bluefield ...Oct 13, 2013 - A man is under arrest after a bomb threat at an area Walmart
- Phone Tap Leads To Student In Carlynton Bomb Threat ..arrest of a Carlynton High School student who officials say has admitted calling in a bomb threat last month from a telephone inside the school. The Pittsburgh Press - Mar 21, 1988
- Lexington teen charged with calling in bomb threat to high school Nov 4, 2013 - LEXINGTON — A teenager was arrested and charged with making a bomb threat at a high school.
- December 19, 2012 California college goes in lockdown after report of gunman San Jose City College went into lockdown Tuesday evening following the report of agunman on campus. A call to police around 4:30 p.m. warned of a gunman in the Technology Center on the San Jose City College campus... [no gunman or caller found] several false reports of gunmen and other threats of violence at schools have occurred. On Monday, a school about 20 miles away from the Newtown shooting location went on lockdown after someone reported that a pedestrian was carrying a rifle near the school. The same day school security locked down a Pennsylvania high school over another umbrellamistaken for a gun.
- 'Bored' 13-Year-Old Calls in Bomb Threat to Dollar General Jul 23, 2012
- False gun report prompts Vista HS lockdown | UTSanDiego.com Apr 24, 2012 · A report of a gun on campus that led to Vista High School being put on lockdown Tuesday was determined to be false, the Sheriff’s Department said.
- False Report of Man with Gun on MIT Campus MIT Campus Police continue to investigate, seek information from public 2/26/2013. On Saturday, February 23, 2012, ..This report was received via an internet relay used to allow persons who may have hearing or speech impairments to communicate