Monthly Misfortune June 2016 ---
List of incidents of terror which could be accidents, crimes, or terrorist attacks.
- Boko Haram insurgency According to Médecins Sans Frontières, more than 1,200 people have died of starvation and illness at a refugee camp for those fleeing Boko Haram in northeastern Nigeria. (The Guardian)
- 98 killed 800 injured 2016 Jiangsu tornado A tornado, accompanied by heavy rainfall and hailstones, kills at least 98 people and injures 800 in the eastern Chinese province of Jiangsu (JSTV). One-hour rainfall reached 102 millimeters (about four inches) inLianshui County. (Reuters) (China Radio International)
- The Italian Coast Guard rescues 4,500 migrants at sea. (AFP via Yahoo! News)
- The U.S. Supreme Court, in a 4–3 decision, upholds the University of Texas's practice of considering race in college admissions. Justice Elena Kagan recused herself for prior work on the case as United States solicitor general. (Reuters) (AP) (The New York Times)
- The Supreme Court deadlocks (4–4) in the challenge to President Barack Obama's executive order that set up the Deferred Action for Parents of Americans plan, which could have shielded up to five million illegal immigrants. The tie leaves in place an earlier ruling against the plan. (NBC News) (The New York Times)
- Death of Freddie Gray Baltimore police officer Caesar Goodson is cleared of all charges for the murder of Freddie Gray, a black detainee, on April 19, 2015. (BBC)
- Viernheim shooting An unidentified man who had been reported to have fired shots inside a theater has been shot dead by police in Viernheim, Germany. No other fatalities were reported. (BBC)
- Colombian conflict The government of Colombia and FARC rebels sign a ceasefire deal, putting an end to 50 years of conflict in the country between the two sides. (BBC)
- Solar Impulse 2, a plane powered only by the sun, lands safely in Seville, Spain, shortly after 7.30 a.m. local time after a flight of just over 71 hours. The 15th leg of the round-the-world journey had been expected to take up to 90 hours. (Reuters) (Reuters²)
- June 28, 2016 (Tuesday) edit history watch
- Armed conflicts and attacks
- Yemeni civil war
- Three Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant bombings in Yemen's southern port city of Al Mukalla kill 38 government forces and injure 24 others. (Reuters)
- Iraqi Civil War
- At least 12 people are killed and 32 more are injured in a suicide bombing in Baghdad. (Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty)Business and economics
- Volkswagen emissions scandal
- Volkswagen and the United States Justice Department agree on a $14.7 billion settlement for its emissions-cheating program. The breakdown: $10 billion to consumers to cover buybacks and fixes; $2 billion for green energy funds investment; and, $2.7 billion to offset diesel emissions. In addition, VW agrees on a settlement with 44 U.S. states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico that will cost at least $600 million. As for Europe, Volkswagen says its diesel vehicles don't violate European Union emissions standards. (Reuters) (Nasdaq)
- IKEA is to recall 27 million Malm chests of drawers in North America due to the danger they pose to children. Since 2014, at least three children have died when the drawers toppled over on them. (BBC)Disasters and accidents
- EgyptAir Flight 804
- One of the flight recorders of EgyptAir Flight 804 has been fully repaired in Paris after being found in the Mediterranean Sea and will now be sent to Egypt to be analyzed. (Euronews)Politics and elections
- United Kingdom withdrawal from the European Union:
- European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker is heckled during an European Parliament emergency session after saying that he is "not a robot" or a bureaucrat. (Independent), (BBC)
- English politician Nigel Farage, a Brexit leader, is booed and heckled by members of the European Parliament, and has heated exchanges with European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker, during the parliament's special plenary session. (Reuters) (CNN)
- Labour party leader Jeremy Corbyn refuses to resign after losing a vote of no confidence. Critics which include fellow MPs cite his failure to do more in the effort for the UK to remain in the EU as the main issue. (The Guardian)
- Prime Minister David Cameron will turn over his office no later than September 9, 2016. (Daily Mail)
- Per a South African Constitutional Court order, the National Treasury reports President Jacob Zuma should pay back $500,000, the public funds spent upgrading his private residence. (Gulf News) (Business Standard)Science and technology
- Durham and Oxford universities's geologists, working with a helium exploration company, discover an at least 54 billion cubic foot field of helium in the Tanzanian East African Rift Valley. Previously, helium has only been found in small quantities. This field, found using a new exploration approach connected to volcanic activity, could potentially meet global demand for several years. This research is being presented to the Goldschmidt geochemistry conference in Yokohama, Japan. (BBC) (Phys.org) (Goldschmidt conference)
Viernheim shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Germany cinema attack: Suspect killed by police in Viernheim ...
A masked gunman stormed a cinema in Viernheim, Germany, Thursday afternoon, taking hostages before he was killed by police, officials said.
Viernheim Shooting News
Heavily-Armed Gunman Killed After Opening Fire In German CinemaZero Hedge5 days ago
German cinema attacker takes hostages before being killed by policeFOX 31 Denver5 days ago
Update on Shooting at German Movie TheaterMediaite5 days ago
More Viernheim Shooting Headlines
Germany shooting: man killed after opening fire at...
An armed and masked man has been shot dead by German special police officers after storming a cinema...
Viernheim Movie Theater Shooting: 5 Facts You Need...
Jun 22, 2016 · Police in the town of Viernheim close to Frankfurt in Germany have surrounded the Kinopolis movie theater...
Viernheim Germany Movie Theatre Shooting: Full...
Jun 22, 2016 · There’s been a reported shooting at a movie theater in Viernheim, Germany. Reports that an unidentified...
Viernheim Shooting: Gunman Dead, Injuries From...
Viernheim Shooting: Gunman Dead, Injuries From Tear Gas By Matt Roberts on June 23,
June 21, 2016 Russia videoBus driver rear ends smashes into 10 cars blames becoming sick on 'spoiled salad dressing'
Pensioner fighting for his life after head-on crash with car driven by his WIFE UK 17:51, 23 JUN 2016 UPDATED 17:51, 23 JUN 2016 BY LAURA SAVVAS
Bob Withy, 66, was travelling along a flooded road when he smashed into his wife's oncoming vehicle travelling along a flooded road in Hook Norton, Oxon, when he smashed into his wife’s oncoming vehicle last Monday.
Read more: Bus driver smashes into 10 cars after becoming sick on 'spoiled salad dressing'
- Wikipedia Current Events Portal
- RT Russia Today Daily Headlines
- PressTV News in Brief - Mar. 2, 2016
- Daily Mail UK
- Wall Street Journal Daybreak
- snewsi crimes
- Gun Violence Archive Mass Shootings
- Democracy Now http://www.democracynow.org/2016/3/2/headlines Mass shooting Tracker 2016
- Killed by Police (anti-police site)
- List of killings by law enforcement officers in the United States, June 2016
- ODMP Officer Down Memorial Page
- List of American police officers killed in the line of duty Wikipedia
- List of violent incidents in the Israeli–Palestinian conflict, July–june 2016
- Mass shooting Tracker 2016: List of violent incidents in the Israeli–Palestinian conflict, 2016
- Religion justified attacks
- List of traffic collisions