Misfortune Timeline Year 2016
Timeline of Security Incidents ---
Unifying Theory of Terror:
Crimes and accidents that look like terrorist attacks.
Daily Misfortune Sunday, July 31, 2016 --- ===
Daily Misfortune Saturday, July 30, 2016 --- ===
Daily Misfortune Friday, July 29, 2016 --- ===
Daily Misfortune Thursday, July 28, 2016 --- ===
Daily Misfortune Wednesday, July 27, 2016 ---
- 44 killed 170 injured Dozens dead in Syria suicide car bomb blast in Kurdish town.com
- Shooting deaths of law enforcement spike up 78 percent in 2016
- Woman and teen killed, 9 other people wounded in Chicago shootings
- Israeli military says it killed Palestinian man behind deadly ambush
- Freddie Gray case: All charges dropped against remaining officers
- John Hinckley Jr. — man who shot Ronald Reagan — cured and to be released in Virgini
Daily Misfortune Tuesday, July 26, 2016 ---
- 2016 Normandy church attack Two men armed with knives take a priest, two nuns and two parishioners hostage in a church near Rouen in the French region of Normandy. French police kill the hostage takers after the 86-year-old priest was killed by slitting his throat.
- Bangladesh: Nine university students killed in gun battle with police
- 13 killed including 7 UN guards War in Somalia (2009–present) Al-Shabaab claim responsibility for a double suicide car bombing attack in Mogadishu near an African Union base at the city's airport.
- 2016 California wildfires Sand Fire Officials evacuate 10,000 homes as the blaze grows to more than 35,000 acres. (Los Angeles Times)
- Soberanes Fire California officials declare a state of emergency for this Monterey County blaze that, in its fifth day, has grown to 23,5000 acres, and is only 10 percent contained. Six major Big Sur State Parks remain closed. (San Francisco Chronicle) (AP)
- Two nearby boats, responding to a Coast Guard emergency broadcast, rescue 46 people from the sinking 220-foot Alaska Juris fishing boat in the Bering Seaoff Alaska's Aleutian Islands. There are no reports of injuries; all on board were wearing survival suits. (AP)
- Landslides from torrential rain that pounded North Korea's North Pyongan Province this weekend kills 10 people and injures 55 with four others missing. (UPI)
- Palestinian National Authority says it is planning to sue the United Kingdom over the 1917 Balfour Declaration. led to mass Jewish immigration to British Mandatory Palestine, "at the expense of our Palestinian people". (BBC)
- Sagamihara stabbings At least 19 people are killed and 26 others are injured in a knife attack at a care centre for disabled people in the city of Sagamihara, Kanagawa Prefecture,Japan. A man has handed himself in to the police, according to local media. (BBC)
- The children's music group USA Freedom Kids plans to sue the campaign of Donald Trump because they were not paid or given performances as promised. (The Washington Post)
- New York City Police Commissioner Bill Bratton announces the arraignment of three suspects in the theft of more than $5 million in cash and valuables, including jewelry and baseball cards, from banks in Brooklyn and Queens, in April and May of this year. (Reuters)
- Woman jailed in Jefferson Park stabbing Ft Collins Colorado Jesse Clay Burtons.
- Australia: Townsville triple stabbing: Man arrested was just released from jail on same afternoon
- 1 graduate dead, 2 teens wounded in Austin Chicago shooting near West End, Lavergne
- July 26 UK:Woman seriously injured after stabbing on Black Country
- 1 Dead, LAPD Officer Injured in Watts Shooting
- tu 26 1 suspect killed by police Wisconsin: No cops injured in Merrill traffic stop chase shooting at police
- 2 killed 17 wounded Fort Myers teen nightclub mass shooting 'Exceptional' 18-Year-Old basketball star, 'Sweet' 14-Year-Old Killed
- Travis Co. Sergeant dies after Round Rock shooting at his house suspect burglary not targeted cop
- 19 dead, 20 injured in knife attack at SAGAMIHARA diabled care outside Tokyo
- Teen requires open-heart surgery after Detroit stabbing
- Woman killed in Omaha house [rigged as IED time bomb to attack neighbors?] explosion was inspector checking the property of eviction
- 1 killed 1 arrested Man charged in drug argument stabbing death at Zion gas station Chicago
- 1 injured Shooting on I-10 below New Orleans Broad Street overpass
- Baltimore Police: Man Found Shot in Head on Patapsco Ave. 'Critical'
- Blacks are more likely to be killed by police, but that's because they're more likely to be stopped
- 2 killed, 2 injured in head-on no-cause collision in Florida Keys
- mon 2 children among 4 seriously injured in Dinwiddie VA no-cause head-on collision
- Iowa One Dead in Head-On Crash Near Creston
- Iraqi Civil War (2014–present) A suicide car bomb kills at least 21 people and wounds more than 32 at the entrance to Al Khalis, northeast of Baghdad. Most died inside their vehicles while waiting to enter the town. (Al Jazeera)
- Conflict in Najran Saudi Arabia's Interior Ministry says five border guards have been killed following clashes with Houthi militants on the border with Yemen. (The New York Times)
- At least 39 people are killed, including 16 children, in a fire at a residential compound in Mangidy, Madagascar. (Reuters)
Daily Misfortune Sunday, July 24, 2016 ---
- 21 killed 35 injured Iraqi Civil War, ISIL involvement suicide attack at one of the residential entrances to district Kadhimiyah, in northern Baghdad, Iraq.ISIL claims responsibility, as published in its official media. (CNN) (Iraqi News)
- 2016 Ansbach bombing Twelve people are injured following a suicide bombing in Ansbach, Germany.(BBC)
- 1 killed 2016 California wildfires, Sand Fire A dead body is found in the area of the Santa Clarita fire that has doubled in size to more than 22,000 acres.
- 1 killed 2 injured A not-terrorist machete attack in the German city of Reutlingen by a Syrian asylum-seeker leaves one woman dead and two others injured. happened after an argument developed between the man and the 45-year-old Polish woman. Police said there was no indication that it was terrorist attack and it was more likely to have been "a crime of passion". (BBC)
- Ansbach bomber was in online chat before explosion Fox News A man who blew himself up at a bar in the southern German town of Ansbach on Sunday was in an online chat with an as-yet unknown person immediately before the explosion, Bavaria's interior minister said on Wednesday. "There was apparently an ...
- 1 killed 2 injured Virginia: 24-year-old man killed in West Broad Street triple shooting WTVR early Sunday morning triple shooting on West Broad Street about a block away from the VCU Siegel Center.
- Griffith man dies follow head-on crash in M'ville nwitimes.com MERRILLVILLE — A Griffith man died Sunday at Loyola University Medical Center from injuries he suffered in ahead-on collision that also sent a ...
- 14-year-old killed in second shocking double rape attack in India CNN (CNN) A 14-year-old girl died Sunday in another case of a lower-caste woman allegedly being raped by the same man twice in India. The victim was ...girl was kidnapped in May by the same suspect who allegedly attacked her in December, according to a police report filed by her parents, a senior Delhi police official told CNN. uspect was reportedly out on bail while he awaited trial in the first rape case involving the girl. died Sunday after being admitted to the hospital in June when she fell ill. The suspect was arrested again following her death, police said.
- 2016 Iranian German Terrorist Munich shootings Munich Police Chief Hubertus Andrae identifies the attacker as a dual national, 18-year-old Iranian-German who apparently acted alone. He was found dead of a suspected self-inflicted gunshot wound to his head. (Reuters) Chief Andrae reports there are "no indications" the teenage gunman, who killed nine people and apparently himself, had links to ISIL or any other terror group. The attack injured 27. (NBC News)
- July 2016 Kabul bombingAfghan officials report at least 80 people are killed and more than 230 injured as twin suicide blasts hit a large demonstration of the Shiite Hazara community over a power route line at Dehmazang Circle, Kabul, Afghanistan. The Islamic State claims responsibility. (Reuters) (News World India) (India Today)(Pakistan Today)
- July 2016 North China cyclone
- Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 An article in a New York City magazine speculates that the pilot may have deliberately crashed the plane into the Southern Ocean. (New York magazine)
- A bus from Wales carrying 50 people, including 41 teenagers, tips over in easternFrance, injuring 13, two seriously. (Reuters)
- 2016 Indian Air Force An-32 disappearance The search intensifies for the Indian Air Force Antonov An-32 military transport with 29 people aboard that went missing over the Bay of Bengal shortly after its Friday morning takeoff from Tambaram. (UPI)
- Indian External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj announces Indian charity worker Judith D'Souza (Aga Khan Foundation), who was kidnapped in Kabul, Afghanistanon June 9, 2016, is free. (AP via The New York Times)Politics and elections
- 2016 Democratic National Committee email leak Emails obtained by Russian government hackers and released by Wikileaksshow that the Democratic National Committee (DNC), led by Debbie Wasserman Schultz, supported the candidacy of Hillary Clinton over Bernie Sanders. (ABC News), (The Washington Post), (CNN), (Al Jazeera)
Daily Misfortune Tuesday, July 19, 2016 ---
- 1 killed 1 suspect arrested 2 sought Kansas police captain shot and killed responding to shooting report
- 2016 Taoyuan bus crash 26 people who were mainly from China and aboard a tour bus die after it crashes into a highway railing while en route to Taoyuan International Airport and bursts into flames later found to be intentional suicide by the bus driver.
- Syrian Civil War The British-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reports U.S.-led coalition airstrikes on the Islamic State-held city of Manbij in northern Syria kill at least 56 civilians, including 11 children, and injure dozens more. (Reuters)
- Northern Mali conflict 2016 Nampala attack: At least 12 soldiers are killed and 27 others injured after unidentified militants briefly overrun a government base in central Mali
- Spalding shooting: Husband who killed wife and daughter at UK sports centre 2016 Spalding murders
- An unidentified senior Indonesian official says the government is "99 percent" certain Abu Wardah Santoso, leader of ISIL-connected Mujahidin Indonesia Timur, was killed in Monday's clash with security forces onSulawesi island. (Reuters)
- A crane collapses across the Tappan Zee Bridge in New York. No vehicles are hit, but several contractors suffer minor injuries. (ABC News)International relations
- North Korea–South Korea relations, North Korea and weapons of mass destruction
- The South Korean Joint Chiefs of Staff and the United States Strategic Command report North Korea fires three ballistic missiles into the Sea of Japan.
Daily Misfortune Sunday, July 17, 2016 ---
- At least one person is reportedly killed and others are taken hostage after an armed group seized control of the police headquarters in the Erebuni District of Yerevan, Armenia. The gunmen are demanding the release of jailed opposition figure, Jirair Sefilian, according to Armenia's National Security Service. (RT)
- Local officials report eight people were killed on Friday when their elevator fell 18 stories in an under-construction apartment building in the port city of Longkou in Shandong province of easternChina. (AP)
- A helicopter crashes at Breighton Aerodrome in the United Kingdom, with reports of five casualties. (BBC)Law and crime
- 2016 shooting of Baton Rouge police officer At least three Baton Rouge Police Department officers are shot dead and several others are wounded by a gunman in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. (USA Today) (BBC) Long, who associated himself with organizations linked to black separatism and the sovereign citizen movement, died in a shootout with police at the scene.
- The Bahrain High Civil Court in Manama dissolves Al Wefaq, Bahrain's main Shia opposition group, accusing it of helping to foster violence and terrorism in the Sunni-led, Shia-majority island country. The Bahraini court previously issued a three-month suspension of the group last month.(Al Jazeera) (JURIST)
- War in Somalia A suspected militant of Al-Shabaab shoots and kills four Kenyan police officers at a police station in Kapenguria,Kenya, where he was being held. The militant was later killed following a shootout with police. (Reuters)
- July 14, 2016 84 killed 303 injured suspect killed by police 2016 Nice truck rampage attack On the evening of , 84 people were killed and 303 injured when a 19-tonne cargo truck was deliberately driven into crowds celebrating Bastille Day on the Promenade des Anglais in Nice, France. The driver was Mohamed Lahouaiej-Bouhlel, a lapsed but recently observant muslim Tunisian resident of France. The attack ended following an exchange of gunfire during which police surrounded the truck and shot the driver, killing him. Agence France-Presse described the incident as the third major Islamist terrorist attack in France since the beginning of 2015.
Daily Misfortune July 13, 2016
- Iraqi Civil War A car bomb explodes at a checkpoint north of Baghdad, killing at least seven people. (Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty)
- Insurgency in Jammu and Kashmir The death toll from anti-government protests in the Indian state rises to 36 with over a thousand more being treated for injuries. Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti has called for calm. (BBC)
- Syrian Civil War Russian war planes allegedly bomb a refugee camp near the border with Jordan, killing at least eight people. (BBC)
- According to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, airstrikes in the towns of Al-Rastan and Ariha kill at least 24 people, despite a temporary ceasefire being declared by the Syrian government. (Reuters)
- South Sudanese Civil War The United States deploys more than three dozen soldiers to Juba, South Sudan, to protect the U.S. embassy and help evacuate non-essential embassy staff due to local clashes. (UPI)
- A bus crashes on a highway in Dagestan, Russia, killing at least nine people and injuring dozens more. (Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty)
- In Brooklyn, New York 33 people are treated for a possible K2 overdose. The drug is illegal to sell or produce in the state. (New York Daily News)
- A serial killer who has murdered seven people over a period of several months is on the loose in Phoenix, Arizona. (NBC)
- 1 injured suspect booked on vehicular assault July 13, 2016 Driver crashes car into house in suspected assault, hurts man sleeping in bedroom (Bremerton WA) A Bremerton man was seriously hurt when a car crashed into his house and struck him as he was sleeping in the bedroom 2AM wednesday driver was booked into Kitsap County Jail on investigation of vehicular assault. Car crashes into Bremerton home, injures sleeping man | The Seattle ... Seattle Times Jul 13, 2016 ... medication and smoking marijuana earlier in the evening, Bremerton Police Chief ... Driver crashes car into house, hurts man sleeping in bedroom Kitsap Sun.. driver said he had taken prescription medication and smoked marijuana Tuesday evening. tags: prescription drugs, marijuana, car hits house, assault charge, deliberate accident
Daily Misfortune July 11, 2016
- Family asks for murder charges in Sacramento police shooting of threatening Joseph Mann with knife October 3, 2016 update SFGate -The family of a mentally ill man killed by Sacramento police demanded Monday that federal officials open a civil rights investigation and that murder charges be brought against a pair of officers who were caught on video trying to run over the man ... deadly July 11, 2016 encounter... Joseph Mann, 50, who was homeless at the time — was acting erratically and 911 said he had a gun in his possession. Officers, seeing he had a knife in his hand but no firearm, followed him for several blocks onto Del Paso Boulevard in Sacramento. Officers John Tennis and Randy Lozoya rushed to the scene to provide backup and within seconds of arriving said they would use their squad car to strike Mann As Mann runs across the street, one of the officers says, “We’ll get him.” Seconds later, they get out of the car, chase Mann on foot and fire their duty pistols, striking him more than a dozen times.
- War in Somalia At least 10 Somali Armed Forces soldiers and 12 Al-Shabaab militants are killed in fighting near the town of Afgooye, Lower Shabelle. (Al Jazeera)
- Insurgency in Jammu and Kashmir 2016 Kashmir unrest
- At least 30 civilians have been killed by Indian Army soldiers as anti-government protests and violence spread across the state. (CNN-News18)
- Syrian Civil War Rebels in Aleppo launch an assault on government-controlled areas in the city. This comes after the Syrian Army blocked off the only road leading into opposition-controlled areas. According to state media, at least eight people have been killed and dozens more are wounded. (BBC)
- The 127 people who were massacred in the Srebrenica massacre in 1995 and were subsequently discovered in mass graves are buried at the Srebrenica Genocide Memorial following a funeral. For the first time, Bosnian Serbs were not welcome to attend the ceremony. (Reuters)
- Floods resulting from the annual monsoon season cause 22 deaths and make 100,000 people homeless in India. (Reuters via Channel News Asia)
- A Lockheed C-130 Hercules owned by the Portuguese Armed Forces catches fire while taking off from Montijo Air Base, killing at least three people. (Reuters)
- St. Joseph courthouse shooting At least three people die, including the shooter, in a shooting at the Berrien County courthouse in the U.S. state of Michigan. (Washington Examiner) Larry Darnell Gordon, an inmate, opened fire on the third floor of the Berrien County Courthouse in St. Joseph, Michigan, killing two bailiffs and injuring a sheriff's deputy and a civilian. Gordon, who was facing a multitude of charges that carried a possible life sentence, was being taken to a holding cell following a courthouse hearing when he disarmed an officer and attempted to take hostages. Moments after taking hostages, other court officers shot and killed Gordon.
July 10, 2016
July 9, 2016
July 8, 2016
- 1 killed several injured Terrorism in Bangladesh A group of radical Islamists hurl homemade bombs at police officers in the Kishoreganj District in central Bangladesh killing at least one officer and injuring several others. (AP via ABC News)
- 35 killed 60 injured Iraqi Civil War (2014–present) attack on a Shiite mausoleum located in north of Baghdad. Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant have claimed responsibility. (Fox News), (Reuters)
- 5 killed industrial accident At least five workers are killed after a wall collapses on them at a recycling plant in Birmingham, England. (BBC)
- A section of a Taiwanese commuter train car explodes near Songshan Station, injuring at least 21 people, some of them seriously. (AP via The New York Times) (CNA)
- Human rights in the Philippines; Philippine Drug War The Philippines House of Representatives seeks to investigate the rise in deaths of suspected drug dealers in the country. (GMA News)
- A French court sentences two former Rwandan mayors of the town of Kabarondo to life in prison on charges of crimes against humanity andgenocide committed during the Rwandan Genocide in 1994. During the genocide, Hutu extremists massacred over 2,000 Tutsi who sought refuge in the town. (BBC)
- Shooting of Philando Castile Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton requests a Justice Department investigation of last night's fatal police shooting of Philando Castile (anAfrican-American) during a traffic stop. Castile's girlfriend, Lavish Reynolds, streamed the incident live over Facebook. It showed Castile had been shot several times and was slumped against Reynolds; he died in Minneapolis's Hennepin County Medical Center. (The New York Times) (CBS News)
- 5 killed plus terrorist killed of 11 shot Dallas police shooting Eleven police officers are shot, with five dying of gunshot wounds in Dallas, Texas during a protest against two black men killed within a day of each other. Police kill the shooter with a bomb delivered on a bomb defusing robot. (New York Post)(KTLA)(NBC DFW), (ABC News Australia)
- Israel's military attacks two Syrian Army targets in Syrian territory from the Golan Heights after a fire from the fighting damages a security fence on the border. (Reuters)
- Flooding caused by torrential rain in China kills at least 180 people, mostly along the Yangtze river. (BBC)International relations
- Eight members of the Cuba men's national volleyball team, which is supposed to participate in the 2016 Summer Olympics, are arrested for aggravated group rape in Tampere, Finland, with two later being released. (BBC) (YLE)
- Terrorism in Malaysia Malaysia confirms it has suffered its first bombing by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant during the previous week raising fears about the spread of influence of the militant group. (The New York Times)
- 2016 Saudi Arabia bombings On 4 July 2016, four suicide bombs exploded in three locations in Saudi Arabia. One of them exploded in the parking lot of the Al-Masjid an-Nabawi, killing at least four people. The second and third suicide bombers targeted a Shia mosque in Qatif, but they failed to harm anyone but themselves. A fourth militant blew himself up after police tried to arrest him near the U.S. consulate in Jeddah. Two Saudi Arabian police officers were injured. Suicide suspected ISIS attackers launch 3 coordinated strikes in Saudi Arabia CNN Near the U.S. Consulate in Jeddah, a suicide bomber killed only himself ... The Saudi news agency reported that the policemen were slightly injured ...Three suicide attacks in 24 hours -- that's how Saudis will remember the end of Ramadan, Bomber killed, two policemen wounded in blast outside US consulate in Jeddah -CNBC Suicide Bomber Killed Near US Consulate in Saudi Arabia - Wall Street Journal Three explosions shook three Saudi cities and left at least four victims dead Monday as Muslims prepared for the festivities that mark the end of the fasting month of Ramadan. A suicide bomber struck near one of Islam’s holiest sites in Medina, killing four security guards. Around the same time a second suicide bombing attacked a mosque in the eastern city Qatif, home to many of the country’s Shiite Muslim minority. Body parts from three suspected suicide bombers were found near the site, the interior ministry said. The evening attacks came hours after a suicide bomber detonated an explosive belt that wounded two near a U.S. diplomatic site in the Red Sea city of Jeddah. Bomber killed, 2 police wounded in blast outside US consulate in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia - Business Insider Suicide bomber kills 4 in Medina, Saudi Arabia -... CNN Jeddah bomber a Pak national -... ecommerce-journal.com Wave of suicide strikes in Saudi Arabia | National... www.wmur.com Two of the attacks failed but four people were killed in the third, all of which appear to be coordinated -- targeting both Saudi security forces and Western interests. 34-year-old man blew himself up with an explosives belt. He lived in Jeddah with his wife and one of her parents. He came to Saudi Arabia 12 years ago to work as a driver, Saudi officials said. Suspicions point to ISIS
- A suspected suicide bomber detonates his belt near the U.S. consulate in Jeddah, killing himself and wounding two guards. (BBC) came in the early hours of US Independence Day and shortly before dawn prayers marking the start of the daily Ramadan fast.Militants attacked the Jeddah consulate in 2004, leaving nine people dead.
- A suicide bomber detonates a device near the security headquarters of the Prophet's Mosque in Medina, Saudi Arabia, killing four security guards. (Daily Mail) (BBC) (Pakistan Today)
- Saudi Arabia - Wall Street Journal suicide bombing attacked a mosque in the eastern city Qatif, home to many of the country’s Shiite Muslim minority.
- Teen driver crosses into oncoming car dies in Battle Ground head-on crash KOIN.com BATTLE GROUND, Wash. (KOIN) — A teenage driver died and 3 other young people were injured in a nearly head-on crash just north of Battle ... The teen’s 1992 Honda Accord crossed the center line and slammed into an oncoming Nissan Maxima.
- 1 person seriously injured in head-on crash WCNC.com MINT HILL, N.C. – Police in Mint Hill are investigating after a head-on collision seriously injured one person Monday morning. Just before 7 a.m., ... Idlewild Road blocked in Mint Hill following head-on collision - WSOC Charlotte
Daily Misfortune Sunday, July 3, 2016 ---
- Iraqi Civil War Twin terrorist bombings in a pair of crowded commercial areas in Baghdad kill at least 125 people. ISIL claims responsibility. (AP)(The Independent) (BBC)
- At least 31 people are killed and several more remain missing after flash floods ravage the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province ofPakistan. (Al Jazeera)
- Rescue workings in Russia's Irkutsk Oblast discover the remains of a Ilyushin Il-76 cargo plane which went missing last Friday after going on a firefighting mission. Six people have been killed in the crash. (Reuters)
- 10 killed Human rights in the Philippines; Philippine Drug War Ten people are killed by the Philippine National Police within a week after Rodrigo Duterte took office as president and made statements encouraging the murder of illegal drug addicts. (Channel News Asia)
- 1 injured by bomb, suspect not known July 3, 2016 College Student Steps on Explosive Bomb in New York Central Park
- 2016 Gulshan attack 13 hostages were rescued following a standoff with the Rapid Action Battalion. (Reuters) Twenty hostages and two policemen were killed, and six gunmen are dead with one captured alive. (CNN)
- War in Afghanistan At least two people are killed and dozens more are wounded in a suicide bombing in Jalalabad, Nangarhar Province. (Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty)
- Iraqi Civil War, Military intervention against ISIL According to The Pentagon, two senior ISIL leaders have been killed by a United States-led coalition airstrike in Mosul. (The Guardian)(BBC)
- Syrian Civil War Syrian government airstrikes in Damascus kill at least 30 people. According to the rebels, the airstrikes were revenge for the killing of a Syrian Air Force pilot by Al-Nusra Front yesterday. The airstrikes reportedly targeted a medical centre and a school. (The Guardian)
- 2016 Istanbul airport attack Turkish police arrest a total of 41 people in connection with the Istanbul Atatürk Airport terrorist attack. (UPI.com)
- 5 killed 20 injured motive is jealousy (?) A lone gunman opened fire at a café in Žitište, Serbia, killing five people and injuring 20 more. the third mass shooting in recent years in Serbia since 2013
- Four children are stabbed to death by their mother in Memphis, Tennessee. The mother was taken into custody. (Local 8 News)Politics and elections
Daily Misfortune Friday, July 1, 2016 ---
- 29 killed including 5 suspect terrorists 2016 Gulshan Banglades attack Gunmen storm a restaurant, exchange fire with security, and take at least twenty hostages in the Gulshan neighborhood of Dhaka,Bangladesh. 29 people were killed, including 20 hostages (18 foreigners and 2 locals), 2 police officers; later, 5 gunmen, a chef of the bakery and later at hospital, an assistant of a chef. The Islamic State claims responsibility. (ABC News) (CNN) (USA Today)
- War in Somalia At least six people are shot and killed and several people wounded by suspected Al-Shabaab militants who ambushed two buses in Mandera,Kenya, near the Somalian border. (Al Jazeera) (AP)
- Israeli–Palestinian conflict A Palestinian woman, in what was construed to be an attempt to stab Israeli Border Police officers at the entrance to the Tomb of the Patriarchs in Hebron, is shot and later dies. (PNN)(The Times of Israel)
- In response to violence in the Hebron area, including the killing yesterday of a 13-year-old Jewish girl asleep in her home in the Kiryat Arbasettlement by a Palestinian assailant, the Israel Defense Forces places a closure on Hebron, brings additional troops to the area and announces a cut to tax funds it collects for the Palestinian Authority, saying it would deduct the amount the Palestinian leadership pays to the families of militants. (Al Jazeera) (The Times of Israel)
- A 63 year old Palestinian man dies during a clash at the Qalandiya checkpoint; Palestinian sources claim his death was due to tear gas inhalation while Israeli sources say the man suffered a fatal heart attack. (Ma'an) (The Times of Israel)
- Rabbi Michael Mark is murdered and his two children badly injured when terrorists shoot at his car on the highway south of Hebron.(The Jerusalem Post) (The Times of Israel)
- Palestinian militants fire two rockets into Israel from the Gaza Strip; one explodes outside a preschool in the town of Sderot, causing damage to property but no injuries, and the second rocket exploded in an open area in the Sha'ar Hanegev region. (The Times of Israel)Arts and culture
- Four Hungarian Defence Force soldiers are killed and one is injured following an explosion at a military firing range in eastern Hungary. (Reuters)
- Taiwan's navy mistakenly launches a supersonic Hsiung Feng III missile towards China, killing one person and injuring three in a Taiwanese fishing boat. (BBC) (The Guardian)
- Canada announces that it will deploy 1,000 soldiers of the Canadian Armed Forces to Latvia to bolster one of the four NATO battalions stationed there. (The Guardian)
- Crime in the Philippines; Philippine Drug War Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte urges Filipino citizens to murder people suspected of using illegal drugs. (The Guardian)
- Causeway Bay Books disappearances Thousands of people take to the streets of Hong Kong, demanding answers over China's alleged abduction of five booksellers in late 2015 and that Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying resign from office. (The Guardian)